1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When job posts say "No phone calls, please," does no really mean no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 13, 2010.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If I posted that in a job opening and somebody called me, their resume would go right in the garbage.

If you can't follow simple directions, I don't want you on my team.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Very well may be, and I'm not saying I would make the call. I completely understand not having the time or patience to deal with dozens of phone calls a day regarding the opening.

Fact remains, I want a reporter who isn't afraid to make a call, even if the person on the other end doesn't want to hear from him. It just seems contradictory to me.

And Black Dude, I have no problem with acting like I'm more special than 100 other candidates. If I'm not more special I've got a 1% chance at that job, at best.

On a side note, this may be the only context in which I'll ever address someone as "Black Dude."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I hire you, I want you calling all those muthas. Just not me!

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You don't call.

We've had some candidates come in to personally hand in their resumes that have been hired. That might not be such a bad idea.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it especially annoyed me when they called between 10 a.m. and noon since besides saying "no calls" in the ad, it also identified us as an afternoon daily. out went their resume because besides not following my directions about calling, they also weren't bright enough to figure i'd be on deadline.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I leave them alone completely if it says no phone calls, but if you must go ahead and check in via e-mail.

We're all way too busy nowadays to be bothered when we are posting not to be bothered.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're highly unlikely to be the only applicant, and what if everyone decided the no-calls thing didn't apply? Sure, you might be the only one who calls, and it might not affect you. But you also might be the 35th asshole who couldn't read the directions and is now keeping the SE from getting anything done.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A reporter who puts in a page?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Western Union office was closed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Does no mean no? Call the sports editor and ask. You'll get your answer.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. On call PIOs frequently have a pager they pass around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I was in a position to hire people and they called when I explicitly had "no phone calls please" written into the ad, it was a kiss of death if you actually called me.

I still get steamed when I think of the call I received one time from a woman who called to schedule a job interview. She wasn't even remotely good enough to be on my radar screen as someone I'd consider for the position.

Draft saved Draft deleted