1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When job posts say "No phone calls, please," does no really mean no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 13, 2010.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

When I see this in jobs postings, I usually get the sense that employers expect so many applicants, why bother. I'm not sure what I would do if I were a hiring editor, but I sure as hell don't want mousy reporters who are afraid to take risks. So, if anyone out there is a current hiring editor or deals with people in HR, your feedback would be much appreciated.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

when doesn't no mean no?

3. Babs

Babs Member

They wouldn't put no calls if they didn't mean it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think being the bulldog candidate who calls all the time earns bonus points anymore. If it makes you feel good to be persistent, do it by e-mail.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I once worked for an SE who delighted in discarding every application from folks who ignored the rules and called when he put "no phone calls please" in the ad.

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Ben Roethlisberger might want to answer that question.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Find out the contact e-mail for the non-HR person involved in the hiring (and that process isn't always easy) and send that person a note. He or she will let you know if a phone call, either way, would be an appropriate next step.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For my first hire, I got some calls when we clearly said no calls. Out they went. I talked about it with my brother, who does a lot of hiring in another profession. He said it was absolutely the right thing to do. The inability to follow directions tells you something.

If it says don't call, don't call. Yes, I mean you and everyone else.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Butbutbut...I really have a lot to offer! And I'm a huge Nats fan!

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've always found this to be kind of absurd in journalism. I don't want a reporter who won't call simply because the source doesn't want him to.

Nothing worse than the reporter who puts in a page or an email to someone and then waits meekly for the phone to ring.

11. I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but to me it shows a tremendous lack of respect for others' time that borders on arrogance (the notion that you're so much more special than the other 100 applicants).

It's 2010 and we have e-mail, which is a much less obtrusive way of making contact.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Apples to oranges brother - you aren't chasing a story here. I'm sure as heck wasn't going to be impressed and say, "Wow, this guy is an aggressive go-getter, this is who I want."

Draft saved Draft deleted