1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When it rain, it poors (warning: Whining rant)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, May 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Every time this thread is the freshest thread on this board, I see "When it rain, it poo" on the main board.

And that makes me shudder. I mean, rain is bad enough as it is without...well, you know. :)

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I understand the concern that an insurance company is making a profit. Patient care should be the number one priority in a healthcare system. Got it. I'm part of the Army's healthcare system (in two ways, I guess. I work in it, and I'm treated by it), so I understand the priority on patient care. But if the company is facing no rules or regulations that say they can't bring one of those surgeons on, then it's a company problem, not a system problem.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll try to take a stab at it.

Company problem: "This company sucks, so I'll go across the street and use X company."

System problem: "This company sucks, system allows it to suck and rewards it for sucking, and I cannot just take my business elsewhere tomorrow."

Sounds like a system problem to me.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

ALL the companies have restrictions like this. It's not just Cigna that's being a bad guy here. Aetna once refused to pay for anesthesia for my then-2-year-old who needed a tooth pulled. How they expected a 2-year-old to sit still for that is something I never learned. All these companies benefit by cheaping out. And that's the system's fault.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Is it an absolute certainty that an oral surgeon needs to do this?

I had three impacted wisdom teeth removed when I graduated high school, and it was done under local anesthetic by my normal dentist. As far as I know, he was not also a quote-unquote oral surgeon, so maybe you can look into another dentist within the network that would be able/willing to remove them?

Just a suggestion. In the meantime, hang in there!

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear in my previous post -- none of the three I had removed had broken the surface at all, yet they were still removed by my regular dentist.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

SC, is there any way this would fall under your medical and not your dental? Have you checked with Aetna? I know that if you have eye stuff, and you move as far forward as an opthamologist (or however the hell you spell it) that it moves from eye care to medical care and is covered by medical.. worth a shot.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

sc, that sucks. I'm so sorry. I'm looking at having to have mine removed in short order, and I hope my Cigna Dental plan works better than yours. :(

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Aetna blows. That's all.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Your HR is at fault. Shouldn't they offer dental plans that can cover the basic needs of the employees in their area?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Another satisfied customer of Chef's Dentistry and Corn Removal.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Chef

Chef Active Member

You bet your ass.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted