1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is rush hour?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Who's working 6 to 2? How has that become so common?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think many people are doing that. Probably just lots of people knocking off early. And I know a few people who get half days on Fridays.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's not common because a lot of people are putting in a lot more hours than just 6-2 -- it's 6-4, 6-5 even. Employers seemingly have their workers by the balls, and folks are working scared, and as a result working much longer hours.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I typically work 6 to 2 ... That is, 6p to 2a. But then again, you know my line of work.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but I also hate the assholes who zip around, changing lanes in busy traffic and whole ride the bumper of someone in the right lane. Left lane -- all bets ar off. Right lane -- that your fault for being there. Leave granny alone.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's not my fault for being there when I'm trying to merge and I can't do so because granny is going 35 and I can't get up to speed enough to switch lanes without causing a Talladega-style wreck.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I work 6 to 4. I hardly know anybody that starts at 9.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would think 7 or 8 would be the norm. And I would guess your longer days are more typical. Doy you work 4 10s or get a half day, or just long lunch?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

4 10's. OT on most other days but around here you start as early as possible to avoid traffic.

I agree that's the norm but 9 would be a real outlier around here

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the old 9 to 5 is pretty rare.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, I've never lived and worked in Austin, so I'm far from an authority, but I find it really hard to imagine that Austin traffic is worse than D.C. I don't doubt for a second that Austin traffic sucks, but c'mon.

Dyno likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The remarkable thing about this thread is that Smallpotatoes' car didn't overheat while sitting in traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted