1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is rush hour?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was sitting in traffic, taking about an hour to go 24 miles or so, at about 2:30 p.m. It was mid-afternoon and it was already like somebody put up a brick wall in the middle of the road.
    The traffic reports I listen to routinely refer to 2 or 2:30 as "the start of the afternoon rush hour."
    I've always thought rush hour was 4, or maybe 3, to 7 or so in the evening, now it starts at 2 or 2:30?
    I work nights so I'm not up early enough for the morning rush hour, but if somebody is getting out of work at 2 or 2:30, what time are they arriving at work?
    I've always thought that a typical day short was 9 to 5, 8 to 4 or maybe 7 to 3. Are more people working 6 ro 2 or maybe even 5 to 1? Are more people just knocking off work early or are more people working nights and going into work at about 2:30 or 3?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Where I live, all the time.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

@JackReacher - I think there's a 10 minute window from 2:35 a.m.-2:45 a.m. that's not really rush hour.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think the dots -- VDOT, DDOT, and MDOT -- have amended that. It's now a 5-minute window. Public meetings were scheduled, but no one could make it on time.

sostartled and Dyno like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I once gave very serious consideration to abandoning my car on the Beltway.

Dyno likes this.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DC just sucks.

What's worse is the weekends can be worse than the workweek because of all of the holiday travelers to the OBX, FL, VA Beach, and all points south.

When people in Richmond complain about traffic, which is about a 15-minute widow, I just shake my head.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You'll appreciate this...

Back at the time when the Hunts were trying to corner the silver market, and it was volatile as hell, a trader I know abandoned his car in traffic and took the subway to work.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just be glad you're not in Austin, where a million people use a road network built for 100,000 forty years ago.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

People in RI bitch about traffic which is hilarious because rush-hour traffic costs you maybe 15 minutes on a bad day. Once in a while there's a bad accident that can cost you 30 minutes, but it's never so bad people should complain. Most people in RI have never left the state, so they have no idea how bad traffic can get.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Is this your license plate?

[​IMG]

Tarheel316, Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is it called rush hour if no one is going anywhere?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Same reason thin people are called skinny even though fat people have more skin.

Draft saved Draft deleted