1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it time to get out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by agateguy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Of course there will, mainly because these dipshit J-schools keep churning out graduates that know what a summary lede is but have no clue about the current business climate.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good idea to even get in. I graduated in May, and I've had a couple of interviews (one I still need to hear about). All the layoff threads (among other things) have me really worried about the state of the business. I worry that I'll go to a small town, not be able to move up when I'm ready because so many good people are being laid off, and then eventually be laid off myself. Then I'll be stuck with my roots in the middle of nowhere with no idea what to do.

If I get the job I'm still waiting on, I'll take it because it seems like a really good situation. But if I don't, I'll really have to start thinking about other things.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Seconded, kleeda.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the time to get out is just before some intern applauds your sorry old ass being downsized.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Forgetting, of course, that many of us are, what?...all of, maybe, 35-45 years old.

Way too young to quit working, and yet, a little old to be starting over, too.

This really is a bad situation.

6. agateguy

agateguy Member

The same intern who's on his or her way to Channel 2 or a P.R. firm.

7. agateguy

agateguy Member

It's the situation we find ourselves in, and coming up with a game plan now to deal with it seems like the wisest thing to do.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a little bit younger than 35, but I've got multiple contingency plans in place. One for what to do short-term in case of a layoff and one that involves going back to school for a complete career change long-term.

I figure it's better to be prepared than caught off guard.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not forgetting -- I'm dog paddling.

Draft saved Draft deleted