1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it old news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a six-month-old story about an unintentional fire at a location no where near the readership.

yeah, that's INTERESTING as hell.

2. I was being a bit of a wise-ass. Can't tell you how many times I checked with an editor about a possible story, only to realize I completely disagreed with them. Yes, you ask. It just feels like I regret it more times than not.

And I never said not to talk to the guys about it. It could be interesting, but I don't know that it's INTERESTING. You don't know unless you ask.

But thanks for the attitude.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Time for me to do something uncharacteristic and come off like a dick. Maybe its because I live and work in a small state, but I have to ask the following two questions:

- Was a wildfire that caused a million bucks worth of damage big statewide news or was it just a local story for the area it happened in?

- If it was a statewide story, or a big enough fire where your paper ran stories about it back in May, how come you didn't recognize the names of the players as those being charged back then?

4. I'm still waiting for you to come off like a dick ... seem like reasonable questions to me.

5. seems to me if they're good kids who just messed up, this would make a great story -- talk to them about it, they must have felt like shit ... what did they learn ... find people in the area of the fire and learn about the damage ...

i would write it but have some compassion, don't write it obviously as a hard news story, but tell the kids' story

i'll bet it's a good one

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Didn't go statewide. I never saw it on the wire. And I never saw when I searched it in our archives this week.

I can see arguments for both sides. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, i think he's a dick.

just kidding EStreet.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

apologies for the attitude, because we seem to agree.

it could be an interesting story for all the reasons you said. But you never know if you are too afraid to ask. It was that attitude that set me off, and the fact that so many agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted