1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it old news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I'm googling names of local players and I come across a brief story reported in two papers and on a radio website all from a two about two hours from here.

Anyway, two players on the local university team I cover were charged with causing a wildfire back in May, after school was done for the year and they were obviously and home and camping near their hometown.

The fires caused a million bucks in damage, but they were NOT set intentionally. Kids were fined, some probation, some community service.

It's now November and the season is under way.

Is this is still news? Is it worth persuing, or do I just look like a dick looking for trouble and controversy?

They're good kids, good players, good students, so I can't even do the "see, another example of how bad these kids are" 'cause that's not true.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't see it as news.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they are football players it may seem like piling on.

If they are basketball players and the season is just starting, might be worth seeing if they will talk about it, how it happened, how chagrined/embarrassed, etc. they are.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's not news.

It might be an element of a story if they decide to do some kind of penance related to the fires. However, there's no point in rehashing the subject unless they do something else unsavory.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If it has not appeared in your paper, it's news.

Whether you decide to use it is up to you.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you'd come off as being a dick, pete. if it was unintentional, i don't think i'd run it that far down the road.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If it's not affecting their eligibility (i.e. suspensions, etc.) I don't think you need to report it.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, I agree with mostly everyone here. I don't see it as news.

My co-worker and ME do see it as news.

The ME used the "everyone needs to be aware of what they do in the internet age and this is an example" angle. And that's a good point.

The ME wants me to persue it, but then again, he doesn't have to deal with the coach and players the rest of the season. I do.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Here's my question for you co-worker and ME: What's the news peg?

<i>Two Podunk U. football players were arrested six months ago in connection with a wildfire outside the Daily Shitrag's coverage area. The fire was deemed an accident, and the players do not face any disciplinary action from the school.</i>

I don't see a news peg.

10. Reason No. 463,734 why you should only tell your boss about story ideas you want to do.

My suggestion is to tell your boss you'll be sure to ask the players about it if and when you get around to a feature on them. It never hurts to ask and could help make a good story.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

two players on your team started a fire, whether intentional or not, that caused a million bucks damage and none of you think its worth mentioning?
    You're afraid of how the coach and players might react?
    It's public record (they were arrested, convicted and fined) and considering the shit that went on in California, perhaps there's a lesson to be learned.
    Your ME is right.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

sound journalistic advice. god forbid you consult with a senior editor for advice and news judgment.

the only reason its suggested Pete not pursue the story is because Pete didn't discover that two players on the team he covers caused some major shit until two months into the season and now he's afraid to write about it because he might "look like a dick"
    here's a tip - its INTERESTING
    more interesting, I bet, than the coach's press conference leading up to "the big game"

Draft saved Draft deleted