1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is a photo a "file photo"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Dec 27, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That sounds logical, but if I run a photo of John Smith shooting a basket from a game two months ago, I don't want the reader to think it was from last night's game. So I sift through all the unused pics from the shoot two weeks ago and find one of a particular player. I am digging through my "files," hence, a file photo.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Second that ALL photogs should be credited. I get credit for writing, they should get credit for shooting since what they do takes a good amount of skill and know-how.
    I think a photog who has been laid off should ABSOLUTELY get credit just to piss off the bean-counters.

As for the original topic, I'd say within the first few days of the pic being taken the normal credit would apply. The same if it's a special project or enterprise piece and you took the photo specifically for that story no matter when it was taken. Other than that, tack on 'file photo.' If you have a picture from a game, have run a story on that game, then come back with a feature a few days later and run another photo from that game, use 'file photo' in the photo credit.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Saying it's a file photo goes to integrity - you're telling the reader the truth about it not being a current photo (even if it's obvious that it was taken during a different season of the year - snow on the ground, no leaves on the trees, etc.).

And, we do include the name of the photographer if we know it, even if they no longer work for us: File photo by .....

Problem solved.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is, IMO, the worst offense many copy editors have. Good cutline writing is WRITING, and not just using or paraphrasing the words the photographer gave. Nor is it "just the facts in the photo." Doing cutlines correctly is more work, yes, but it's a major part of the entire presentation and should not be dismissed. Copy editors should embrace cutline writing, for it gives them a chance to use their own words and creativity to help tie everything together.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Boring cutlines drive me insane, especially if it's with a feature and doesn't tie in with the story. I really enjoy writing cutlines.

Draft saved Draft deleted