1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Has Sports Broken Your Heart?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

28 - 3: that would be mine. It was eerie in the office the next day how silent everyone was, almost like a wake at a funeral home, but actually even more silent when I think about it. The entire city was in a collective funk.

And it's a wound that will continually get picked and re-opened pretty much every year at Super Bowl time until I'm no longer upright --> Greatest deficit overcome in a Super Bowl: 25 points, Patriots v. Falcons.......

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

To a man, every Yankee fan I know says the 2004 collapse didn't pain them much, always saying a certain loss to some other team was worse. I believe most of them are lying through their teeth because recognizing the anguish would mean conceding the high ground. We own your souls. Deal with it :)

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Maryland lacrosse losing in the NCAA semifinals in 2018 (both teams).

It was bad enough that two teams that adopted me as their own lost. What made things even worse were a couple of moments:

1) One of the women's players and I were hugging the day after they lost and she said, "we're losers!" after only their second loss of the entire season. The fact she was practically crying on my shoulder hit pretty hard.
    2) Two nights after the men's team lost, one of the guys from the men's team greeted me with something between a bro hug and an actual full on hug and said, "I'm sorry we let you down."

I was just starting to get over the losses when the latter one happened. That added at least another day.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Every time Duke wins.

DanielSimpsonDay and garrow like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh, like I said, I didn't see it. It's difficult to be anguished about it when I've never bothered to watch it.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not going to bother clicking play now, either. ;)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Montana-to-Taylor, sitting in the end zone as a teenage Bengals fan.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yep, 86 game 6 because the Sox had the same chance of coming back that the Angels did.

And 03 game 7 , Timlin in the 8th, Williamson in the 9th, that is how it should have gone.

But, I got over it.

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Arena Football. Great niche sports completely mismanaged by a bunch of Joe Joneses who think they're Jerry Jones.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sid Bream

Bo getting hurt.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

2002 NCAA hockey final, Maine 50 seconds away from a national title the year Shawn Walsh died. Lose on a power play in OT.

That one, and losing 1-0 in 04 with a minute of 6 on 3 time at the end, left a mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted