1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When good vodka drinking goes bad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sheri, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

Thursday evening, I head west of town on a non-work related excursion.

Last month, a local rancher rescued me from my own stupidity when I proceeded to travel a road which was clearly marked as unpassable when wet. I drive a car, everyone else in this area drives a 4-wheel drive truck. Or a Hummer or retired army tank.

Anyway, I needed to bring this guy a bottle of amber rum as thanks and brought my own vodka for sport.

Turning off the highway, I spot the storm moving in and stupidly stop for 20 minutes trying to take the perfect lightning/intense clouds shot. Despite the weather warning and my internal sense of danger.

Giving up, I head south and within 20 minutes and no shelter in sight, I'm pretty sure a tornado is in the area. I did find somewhere to wait out the storm - an empty garage I later realized belongs to the people recently involved in a stabbing case I had reported on.

Winds slowed down and I continued on my personal path of disaster to the ranchers place.
    Suddenly, the road is covered by debris. I look to the west and there's what used to be a house. As I walk towards it, camera in hand and pen behind ear, the owner pulls up and subsequently begins to weep as I explain I work for the newspaper.

I finally showed at the ranch and tell him I'm sorry for being late and that three of his buildings have disappeared as a result of the tornado I ran into. We load up the cooler, rum, vodka cigarettes and one dead badger I found and tour the country taking damage pictures and counting heads to make sure everyone is alrite. Oh, and trying to find everyone's missing cows.

Slowly, we collect people and other loaded coolers and everyone becomes a newspaper reporter for the night. We were able to use hail for ice cubes until 8 am when we finally weakened. The only injuries anyone sustained were perhaps a few damaged kidneys and a massive headache the next morning.

It seems even when I take an evening off, I can't help but run into a tornado.

Any other similar stories of work finding you?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK. But that sentence sounds like, quite possibly, the worst tailgate party ever.

3. Sheri

Sheri Member

Actually, the badger wasn't in the cooler. Which is good because it stunk like old worse than the latest Liz Taylor perfume.
    We have tailgate parties here too, that must be a pretty universal term, at least in North America.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

This story has me speechless.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger

Mushroom mushroom .... :)

6. Sheri

Sheri Member

Here's a couple of pics from before tornado and after tornado...
    (Sadly, I forgot to photograph the badger - I have a thing for badgers)

Huh - apparently not. I can't figure out how to attach a pic and photobucket isn't putting out this morning.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

suddenly i feel better about living in new york

8. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't know about all this, but I am curious: Miley Cyrus or The Jonas Brothers? Who would you like to see in concert?

9. Sheri

Sheri Member

Directed at me? I have no idea who either are, but I'm a pop culture retard.

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

its the add on the bottom of the page
    It's the ad on the bottom of the page

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

My subtle point was, how did AdSense (or whatever program it is) decide that Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers would be a good ad for SportsJournalists.com?

12. Sheri

Sheri Member

Well, one shot uploaded... here's the sky about 15 minutes before the tornado.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted