1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When foreigners cover American football...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 1, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why this cracked me up so much. I was scrolling through my RSS feeds and saw the headline "NFL great picks Giants for upset" on the BBC headlines. So I click through and he lede is that Rod Woodson thinks the Giants will win.

Here is the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/american_football/7219923.stm

Is that like the British humor that cracks a lot of people up, but always flies right over my head?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Woodson played in three Super Bowls, 11 Pro Bowls, was named to the NFL's 75th anniversary team, and the team of the 90's and was defensive player of the year in 1993.

I think that qualifies him as a great player.

3. The Big Ragu

Rod Woodson was a great football player. He played until his late 30s at speed positions and made a great transition from corner to safety... Wasn't trying to say he wasn't a really good player. Just that when I saw that headline I was expecting a current player of a Peyton Manning stature, or a Joe Montana or Barry Sanders kind of player from the past. Not Rod Woodson. I couldn't see him meriting a whole story with his prediction, or that headline, anywhere in the U.S.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Not in Fort Wayne, Lafayette or Pittsburgh? He's still pretty big in those places, at a minimum.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Rod Woodson is most likely going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Just because someone wasn't a quarterback, doesn't mean they are of a lesser profile.

I would also ask whether you read far enough to realise that he's going to be the analyst for the BBC's broadcast, hence the piece being in part an advance to the networks' televising of the game.

I guess it was cracking you up too much that Rod Woodson was considered a great by a foreign media source.

6. The Big Ragu

You're getting way too offended.

It's your first statement that was exactly the point for me. Usually it is a QB or a RB. Paul Hornung or Frank Gifford get quoted in stories like that here, not Joe DeLamielleure or Jack Ham, let alone someone who is so recently retired. They're all great players but some positions--and some players because of their personalities--have a higher profile.

I didn't read far enough to realize the BCC was trying to create hype because Woodson is going to be an analyst for them. To me it just came off as really random (his link to the BBC makes it a little less so, but still...). I clicked on the link because of that headline and I was expecting Roger Staubach. And I got Rod Woodson. It has nothing to do with how good a football player Rod Woodson was. He was. It has everything to do with the fact that he doesn't have the name recognition of Terry Bradshaw or even Deion Sanders. Those are the guys who get national stories like that devoted to their predictions here.

I shouldn't have been so flip with my remark... But it still cracked me up because it wasn't the kind of former player I usually see get a headline like that here.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why wouldn't I get offended?

In the title you slyly denigrate the way anyone from ouside North America covers football, and then don't even read far enough to understand the point of the story. And then because a probable future Hall of Famer doesn't spring to mind immediately when you think of a great, you equate it to a British sense of humor, which you apparently don't get.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I think Woodson was also named the the NFL's all-time team, no?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I quite like reading about American football from a foreign perspective. Provides more of an outside point of view.

And yeah, Woodson was a hell of a player.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Unfortunately, the goofball from TV Azteca running through media day in a wedding dress didn't help dispel the myth.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wouldn't let Rod Woodson shine my shoes.

12. The Big Ragu

1) I typed out a quick post and reread it and corrected Deion's name (and other things in my post) before you posted. I would have corrected it more quickly if they site hadn't frozen on me. Jeez. Sorry that offended you, too. Does it help my "cause" that I reread and caught it before you got in your dig? 2) How many different ways do I need to say that Rod Woodson was a great player. I know Rod, actually, and know the respect he engenders from players who played against him. He STILL is not a football name that gets stories like that written here. 3) I didn't read very far into the story because the lede said, "Rod Woodson thinks the Giants are going to win." There was no need for me to read farther than that. Sorry. 4) I said in my post I shouldn't have made the flip remark. I'm sorry. You are still getting WAY too offended. That is not a story you would see nationally in the U.S. because he was not a household name in a place where it is not a boutique sport. I should have phrased it that way, instead. It cracked me up. Rod Woodson doesn't get headlines like that in the U.S. It surprised me.

Draft saved Draft deleted