1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When fan boy gets the scoop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Feb 1, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

scoops last for 90 seconds at the most.
    most over-rated thing in the business.
    don't feel down if you got beat and don't get too cocky if you have a scoop for 90 seconds.

the readers could give a shit - they don't keep score - and they don't know who beat somebody else by 90 seconds.

keeping scoop score is a throwback to a bygone era.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. If we stop trying to be first on a story, we may as well assign pool reporters to everything.

I think a lot of news organizations are giving less credit to others for scoops, which diminishes it substantially. The joy in getting something first was having everyone else have to say "as first reported by the Bugle" for a day. Now if something goes up online, and someone else piggybacks and gets their version online 90 seconds later, or an hour later, whatever, they seem to rarely credit the first guy.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Those bastards at The Bugle are always blowing their own horn.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Wow, papers used to do that? Just when I start feeling really old, you made me feel like a real spring chicken because I don't remember that era. Maybe I was alive and reading, just wasn't interested in the business end of things yet.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Everyone credits themselves if it's close, even pretending to disregard the other guy. I think there's still an importance to breaking news, but to me, there's also far more importance on getting it right first and getting more to the story in a timely matter.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hear hear!

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I like being first on a story as much as anyone. And I don't mind giving credit to another source that beats me when I don't get the story first. What bothers me is having some punk reader tell me he thinks he can do a better job than me on newsgathering when all he does is scroll the Internet looking for stories about his favorite teams and drivers. And because of the nature of the newspaper, even if I get a scoop, it looks a day old because the story doesn't get published in print until the following day. Plus I just hate snotty readers.

8. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

Just because I am curious...who was the first paper/website to get this scoop?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Question: Does that matter in this day and age when the stuff hits so quickly and everyone is tuned to the Internet?

I mean back in the day, you might have a story like and be the only one with it in print the next day.

10. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

I agree to a certain extent - like somebody above wrote, I want to get it right first...

I was just curious as to who got it first.....no particular reason

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Scoops are much more important in news than in sports these days.

The "who signed with who"-type stuff is all about the timing of information that everyone will get pretty soon, often within minutes.

These days, you are more likely to see "as reported by" in celebrity gossip stories, because news organization want to make it clear it's not their reporting if the story based on X17/TMZ/Perezhilton is wrong.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Why isn't that news?

Draft saved Draft deleted