1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Elvis died

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is a quintessential old guy post, but whatever. It's late, and I've cabbed home, and somebody asked me the question: Where were you when Elvis died?

It's interestting only in this. This is one of those I know exactly where I was.

I was in the newsroom at my first job, two months, a small paper in Wisconsin, a PM, and there were only about three of us left on the editorial side. The "final" edition had been put to bed.

So we're finishing up, and the old AP machines start going crazy, bells ringing, clacking away. Nothing like it; yes, this is a nostalgia thing.

Well, Elvis had indeed died. And me, from sports, and the two other remaining people start reading the paragraphs off the wire, and basically, it's "Holy shit!"

And yep, we all run back into the press room and get to say it: "Stop the presses!"

Tore up the front page. Four column by 12 inch photo of the King. 12 inch story, no jump. Headine:

Elvis dead

144 point, I believe.

I only got to yell that maybe twice more in my career.

And I'll never forget that day.

2. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

I envy you. I've always wanted to yell that.

Sadly, I was six when Elvis died. I have been to Graceland, however.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Driving down the street heading for the Red Owl store to grocery shop. Heard it on the radio. No big deal at the time because Elvis was a has-been.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Leaving Wrigley Field.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Driving down to Missouri to see a girlfriend before fall semester. Heard news on radio, station then played an Elvis song ("Heartbreak Hotel" I think). Twelve miles down the road, I see a highway sign that reads "Memphis." Felt like the steering wheel almost had mind of its own, wanting me to turn that way. Didn't, kicked myself later. RIP Elvis. TCB.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Elvis is dead???? :eek:

Oh, my god!!!!!!!!!! I just saw him last week!

BTW, my brother, working for a p.m. that just went off the floor, got to yell ``Stop the presses!'' when Reagan was shot.

7. i wasnt born........

8. healingman

healingman Guest

I was at a friend's house whose mother (who really was hot, BTW) was a big Elvis fan. I was 13 at the time. "Moody Blue" had been out for awhile. Well, I get home about 10 minutes later and on the TV was news that Elvis had died. Listened to an AM station that played Elvis songs all night long (not so much later Elvis, but those early years ... when his voice had that growl, rugged, un-Colonel Parker-ized sound).

And the fans flock to Graceland ....

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I was working as security at a recording studio and on an extended break I went to the CNE (the Ex) to see an international snooker tournament (John Spencer, Alex Higgins, Cliff Thorburn, Eddie Agha, Kirk Stevens, the world's best). Buzz went through the crowd. E, he dead.

YHS, etc

10. Watching that game on WGN and hearing the news from Cliff Mercer, the only news announcer in Chicago with a speech impediment.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I was five days old.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted