1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When elderly school bus monitors get bullied

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 21, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You're right, she should have antagonized the kids and it would have made it that much worse. ::)

Back in the day, if my driver on my rural bus route had seen this shit going on, she would have slammed on the brakes and the rest of the trip would've taken place in silence.

Maybe the correct course of action would have been to notify the bus driver so he/she could've put the smack down. But she said on the interview that it was the last day of school so she let it go. If it was another day she may have done something comepletely different.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That should at least give bus monitors tasers.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The lady deserves some recognition - don't know if its a volunteer position or not. I really doubt she cashes in though.
    I like her idea of making the kids walk home for an extended period, or making their parents be responsible for their transportation. That might teach both parent and child better than anything.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has anyone identified the person who shot the video? Assuming it was a kid, and that in itself took some presence to film and post.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is the worst bus behavior you saw as a kid?

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It was a kid. Not sure if it was one of the kids who participated, but I think so. The kid posted it to his Facebook page and I guess it got shared and eventually ended up on youtube.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"Coretta's got a boyfriend! Coretta's got a boyfriend!"

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In 9th Grade, I had to ride the bus as I lived 5 miles from school. I was a gawky freshman. From Day 3 of the school year on, these burnouts in 11th grade who couldn't afford cars would beat the crap out of me. Every damn day. Usually 3 of them. Sometimes 4. They had mullets, stubble, jean jackets and, as Forrest Gump would say, "they smelled like cigarette smoke".

I was terrified of them.

The bus driver would just laugh and tell me to stick up for myself. I tried. I couldn't. There were at least three of them. The beatings would start, usually on mile 3 as the bus was making its first neighborhoods stops.

In October, I made the freshman basketball team, sparing me from further beatings. Even in the winter, if we had a day where we did not practice, I would walk home. Had a single mom who worked (and no older siblings or neighborhood friends to catch rides).

It was humiliating.

However, it also showed me how to forge a path where I could leave the burnouts behind forever. And I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted