1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When elderly school bus monitors get bullied

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The boys should have to spend the summer at the Sanduskys.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

But what if the driver wasn't on a road where he could stop safely? In that video, it doesn't look like the bus stops to let anyone off the whole time.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"Change of route, kids. Field trip to Niagra Falls. I hope you brought your swimsuits."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Then I would have taken them straight to the police station.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I decided not to go into teaching. I remember how I was at that age and figure I'd end up sending a kid through a wall.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Thank you for the serious, reasoned response.

My guess it that it would be impossible for any of us to determine which victim endured more suffering.

I do feel comfortable stating that in my opinion the behavior of the angels on the bus is more repulsive because we're dealing with an authority figure who happens to be an elderly woman.

Such angels clearly have no respect for authority or the elderly. That's two strikes at once. That takes talent.

But I'm sure they'll turn out to be productive members of society.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

No thread here is untouched by irrelevant political bickering.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't need to divine which victim felt it more acutely. Both an elderly woman and a young man have equal right to their dignity and sense of safety.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Maybe some of the parents need a shit-kicking, too. Especially if they condone behavior like that.

10. This lady may have been the worst "bus monitor" in the world. Was she just being paid to ride the bus all day or was she actually planning on doing something?

Yes, the kids are miserable little pricks. Most kids that age are, especially in packs. School is a prison atmosphere. It's us-against-them. Authority figures were the enemy. Authority figures that showed weakness (like an ill-prepared substitute teacher) were ripped to shreds.

But I suppose I'm at a loss for why the "elderly" woman deserves $400,000 (and growing) for failing to do her job. I'd take a few minutes of verbal abuse for that windfall.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You were doing fine until that last sentence.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I should get at least $40 for the abuse I take on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted