1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does a flag go to half-staff?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 21, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

For a YEAR?
    For what possible reason?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because they're likely a bunch of fucking lazy morons who neither pay attention, nor care.

3. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

The talking chihuahua died???

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At first, I thought the Va. Tech killings were a no-brainer. Seems like a national tragedy, and there should be a day or two set aside as a national period of mourning. But then if you think about it, "only" 33 people died. The next time we lose 100 in a plane crash, will that receive the same honor? Worse loss of life, likely just as national in scope in terms of where victims come from, but unlikely to receive the same honor nationwide. So now I'm not so sure.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Had the 100 been murdered, it would be a no-brainer. It may not sound fair, but the way they died and the impact that has nationally plays a part in deciding whether flying the flag at half-staff is appropriate. Because when you get right down to it, more people probably died in this country from any of a number of ways, including murder and suicide, than did in Blacksburg that day. Given the profound impact the massacre had in places far from Virginia, I'd say the honor is appropriate.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I say lower it for the Va. Tech victims. My thought was more along the lines of why do we do it for them, but not for things like plane crashes? It's still more people dying in the same sudden, tragic way, and all together instead of a murder here, a suicide there. Maybe not as senseless, but no less tragic.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Probably because a plane crash is an unfortunate and sad occurance, but a mass murder on a college campus shakes everyone to their core. Emotional resonance is why this is more worthy (for lack of a more appropriate term) of a flag flying at half-staff, which itself is a manifestation of national sadness. It sounds harsh to parse it out like that, but that's the best I can come up with.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm glad someone else knew this. I felt like a big dork knowing.

Draft saved Draft deleted