1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When do you run this? Or do you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Mar 27, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm new in town and new on a beat (university football).

Local university schedule just came out. Is it worth a story in your parts?

Personally, if I step out of my reporter job for a moment and think like a fan, I think I'd like to read a few words/thoughts from the coach.

But then again, I'm not sure what kind of passion, following, interest there is in the team and sport here (hey, it's Canada - hockey is No. 1).

Plus, I also think it gives me a good excuse to do more than shoot the breeze with the coach.

Thoughts?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure it's worth a story. Why the hell not?

Doesn't have to be 30-40 inches or anything.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not every story has to be 20 inches and Page 1-sports... can be 12 inches and B3..

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

At the very least, you should brief it with a promo to the agate inside. But I would probably do a quick 10- 12-incher (also with a promo to the agate).

5. John

John Well-Known Member

What they said.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I do stories when high school coaches in my area release their schedules. Readers actually ask for them. If fans are interested in the local high school schedule, you know they're interested in the state college's schedule. Unless your the Duke football beat writer, then don't bother, run it in agate under the headline, "Duke releases names of the 11 schools that will kick their ass this fall."

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I know if we don't run the football schedules of our high school teams relatively soon after they're determined in late winter/early spring, people get pretty upset. Readers love that stuff here, from A to 5A. But it is East Texas.

8. I have a lot of CIS football contacts, and I'm used as a CIS expert in stories/on radio from time to time. PM me if you want help with background...

9. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Definitely, but don't go overboard on it.

Did I hear that right--it's a Canadian college football team? If so, do they play CFL rules, or American? Just curious.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

CFL rules of course. Why is this such a surprise to you?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because American schools do not even pretend to try to teach students anything about our neighbors to the north or south.

Canadian students pretty much all take American history. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone but a history major at an American university who has taken a Canadian history course.

Idiotic geocentric bullshit.

12. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

I was a history major and I still didn't take anything remotely concerning Canadian history. I couldn't tell you a thing. The only country I know less about is Greenland. Worst part is, my university was pretty damn close to Canada.

Hosers.

Draft saved Draft deleted