1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you notice you were getting old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When after two games, I'm no longer busting my a** to get up court on the fast break and when I see guys 10-15 yrs younger just busting tail up and down all game.

2. lono

lono Active Member

When did I notice I was getting old?

The first time I realized that what used to watch me shave now watched me tie my shoes.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Six days after hurting my back lifting an empty, and I'm still dealing with spasms and a great deal of discomfort.

4. joe

joe Active Member

When I became invisible.

Walking through the sad little Owensboro, KY mall in 1995, the high school girls who had always checked me out during my early 20s ceased to see me.

At 26, I officially became old.

5. When I was about 30 or so, I was at the gym doing sit-ups on that infernal incline thing where you can hook your feet and then decline your body. Anyway, during my third set, I hear an unmistakable fart. My internal monologue asked, "Who would do that so loudly in a public place?" Then, I realized it was my fart. Old fart, indeed

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know that I noticed it as it was happening. But I do know that it has happened.

I remember in my younger when I'd start working out I'd have so much more energy. I'd fall asleep at night and wake up refreshed in the morning ready to go. Now, I've started working out and I get no kick of energy. For sure I hate getting out of bed.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love this post.

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I'm too old to remember Not sure when I noticed but there are reminders all around.

The latest was when I had the same awestruck reaction as the DJ that the Police's "Ghost in the Machine" was released 31 years ago. You know it's been a while but that seems to bring it home more - 31 years! he screamed. Really? Really.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if I can put a date on it.

One that comes to mind. The year I turned 40, I went to my doc for a check up, and he put the glove on, lubed up, and gave me the prostate exam. He immediately apologized and said, "Welcome to your 40s."

A few other things that have been proceeded by, "God, I'm old."

1) Whenever Mrs. Ragu and I SHARE a beer.
    2) When Madona -- who was supposed to be the old, mainstream act -- was performing during the Super Bowl and I had never heard one of the songs.
    3) Like some others have pointed out, I have hair sprouting from ungodly places. (Highly Recommended: The micro-touch trimmer. Works well!)

Draft saved Draft deleted