1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you notice you were getting old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I went to high school with Kasay, so I guess that makes me old.

Physically, my knees and back hurt from time to time after years of running. And my hair is getting rather thin up top. Oh, and I have to go see my heart doctor once or twice a year.

And the last time I went to my eye doctor he said something about bifocals being in my future.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

To answer the original question: about 30 minutes ago, watching the S.B. halftime "show". My wife's reaction was "That's classy" while I was thinking, "WTF is this shXX?"

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Think you can probably get new knees, too, jr/shot...Unless you've had that done already, and they're giving you problems?...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yes I'm only 29, but I've had a few of these moments already.

When I started waking up sore because I slept in a slightly off position.

When my brother started Grade 11 this year. He is 12 years younger than me, I still think of him as being about 10-12 years old.

Watching my friends age. Like when one of my best friends turned 30 last week, it was a bit of a hit to the psyche that I'm no longer as young as I once was, I got another 11 months until I hit the milestone, but for some reason I don't think I will enjoy it as much, that and most of my friends and family are now a 16-20 hour drive away. Most of my friends have also moved on to having families and multiple kids. I don't know, maybe it's more of a getting left behind deal . . .

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This weekend, I was in Indianapolis in the Super Bowl Village with my friend and my brother and his group of friends, who are just two years younger than me but all single and childless. My friend and I turned in at 10 p.m., exhausted. While out, we were content to just walk around and people watch and enjoy the atmosphere. Those other guys, on the other hand, were photo-bombing people all night and arguing with proselytizers and running around on each other's shoulders through the masses, just doing everything they could to make a scene at all points. It was remarkable how different our ideas of a good time were. Like I said, the groups eventually had to amicably split up, because the expectations for the evening were so far apart.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What are you doing married to an 18-year-old. Jerry Lee?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I could see that happening down the line, yes. But that's actually more invasive than hip replacement. Wouldn't seem like it, but it is.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

When Madonna became the safe pick for Super Bowl halftime

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was reminded again yesterday that I'm old. We had about 40 people for a party -- 20-plus adults and almost 20 kids. Stocked the cooler with beer before anyone arrived; thanks to guests showing up and contributing, and then nobody drinking very much, we ended up with more beer than we had at the start.

The leftovers will last months.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've always brought beer to family holiday gatherings and such. I've noticed the last couple years that nobody touches it any more. I told my wife after this past Christmas that I'm not bringing it any more.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As noted on the other thread, I'm saving it for the Tim Tebow Super Bowl Party. It goes well with crow.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When Echo and the Bunnymen are selling cars to CEOs.

Draft saved Draft deleted