1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you notice you were getting old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I ask this question because the other day my brother, in his mid-30s like me, said something about feeling sore after playing in his rec league game.

"I'm getting old," he said jokingly.

He's in great shape. Better than me, and I'm in OK shape myself. I told him I hadn't really noticed a physical decline yet - other than some gray hair that I cover up, but otherwise, I don't feel different after workouts and such than I did 10 years ago.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was 27, still in great shape, I was running every day and feeling great.

I went to the doctor, my weight was great...

Then he said, "Does your hair loss concern you?" It had honestly, never crossed my mind.

It's been downhill since that day.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ten years ago, I interviewed a high school senior who was named after Jasmine Guy, from "A Different World."

4. When I started plucking hairs from my ears and back. And my eyebrows to prevent the unibrow.

5. Dick Whitman

Oh, I feel old culturally all the time.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My memory isn't good enough anymore to remember that far back.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

When covering high school girls basketball and I quit noticing the players and started checking out their moms in the stands!

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I may not be that old yet (only 26) but I already have all sorts of aches and pains in my lower back and hips stemming from a knee injury five years ago. This year has been the year that major dips in temperature, I've felt in my joints. Also, my chiropractor knows me by name.

This does not bode well for me in the future and arthritis.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

During the NBA finals when they were making Jason Kidd, who I've known (not friends, but known...) since junior high sound like he's the oldest player in the history of the NBA. He's a year older than me.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I just had a milestone birthday. Good news is that I look 10 years younger. Bad news is I often feel 30 years older.

11. Dick Whitman

I've noted on the Tiger Woods thread that I pull for Tiger because we're the same age, and I'm not ready to see my generation replaced just yet. He's my stand-in.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Physically, right about 40. It was almost as if some sort of physical "switch" got flipped. I know it's just part of the natural process, and I've gotten to a good place with it. I still workout regularly, am really careful about what I eat, get my sleep, etc.. Even with all that....I hurt more (in places I didn't even know existed), I don't snap back as fast, my night vision has gone to hell, etc.

I'm still here, though. Considering how I lived in my 20's, I'm ok with that...

Draft saved Draft deleted