1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you know your spouse was 'The One?'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 27, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe that is just people being confused and unable to believe that somebody would marry you.

:D

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I was notorious for having a girl on the sly while dating someone else. I met my wife my senior year of college and we hit it off very well.
    Looking back, I knew she was "The One" right away I guess.
    Why?
    I didn't fuck her the first chance I had. That was pretty much M.O. in college. Fuck'em, get sick of them.

But the true show that she was the only one for me was 10 months later. We had lived together with a few other roomies for the summer after we graduated and were looking for jobs. She got a job six hours away, I got mine in town. I helped her pack and was pretty stoic. We said goodbye (she told me later she figured that was it and we would lose touch) and within 15 minutes I was calling her cell phone and blubbering like an infant. We were engaged by Nov. and spent 2 years driving back and forth on that six-hour stretch. One weekend, she would come up, the next I would go down. Sometimes I would have to work at the paper until midnight on Friday night and have to be back to work at 6 a.m. Monday...I still went.
    I still have an e-mail from here on the day she left for her job. I still cry when I read it.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Heh heh heh.

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Honestly the first time I laid eyes on her, I knew I wanted her forever. She was in the crowd at the basketball state finals. Her sister was cheering and I caught a ball cap thrown into the stands. Apparently it was meant for her. She asked if I would give it to her, and I said I'd think about it. After the game I told her I was going to give it to her the whole time, but wanted to know how badly she wanted it. She gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek and asked would I be back Saturday for the finals. I said I would... Turns out (I found this out not too long after, but not the day of) she went shopping and got her hair cut just for the Saturday game. She came in and looked sensational. I was floored. Asked for her number, and the rest..is..history!

5. spikechiquet

Ahhh...I see what I did there!

Perv. :)

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sadly, whatever feelings I had on the subject I don't trust any more. I don't know if she is The One, or if there even is a One. Sorry to be a downer.

7. spikechiquet

Maybe it's not them...maybe it's you. :p

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have little doubt that's the case. Trust me.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay, now I really remember when she was "the One"; living in SF parking is brutal, especially near her apartment.

1st time I called to say I was coming over, even though she had only been living there maybe a week or two, she knew it would take as much as an hour to find a spot, she says "I'll come down and drive around with you until you find a spot." I am not sure I've met another woman who would do that since.

10. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

We had been dating for about a year and it was my 30th birthday coming up. She arranged what she said was going to be a little party for that afternoon.

I got to her house, walked into the backyard and it was NUTS. A giant luau. Huge roasted pig, tiki hut, firedancers, limbo, the whole thing. A cover band led by an Elvis impersonator. A 20-foot inflatable water slide (which later in the night would be populated by mostly-topless women). A wading pool filled with pineapple juice (also to be populated by mostly-topless women). Craziest shit you've ever seen. She invited everybody, to the point of paying for my best friend to fly in from Seattle when he couldn't afford it himself. I would later found out that she spent about $3500 bucks on the whole thing.

We all got a little drunk and a couple people made remarks like "This is the best party I've ever seen, you should marry this girl." So I got to thinking that sounded like a pretty good idea. She lived like half a mile from a Zales store so a couple hours in I excused myself, hoofed it down the street and bought the biggest diamond I could afford.

Went back to the party, ate and drank some more. I knew I was going to propose before the night ended, so I got everybody else in on the act. A bunch of people convinced her to get on the water slide and when she got to the bottom of the slide I was there on one knee holding out the ring.

After all the schmoopy moments were over the band started playing "Strangers in the Night" and we slow-danced with everybody watching. It was incredibly corny but also incredibly perfect.

Later on in the night, an impromptu fireworks show begun by a couple of my way-too-drunk college buddies ended up setting the roof of her house on fire just a little bit. The party kept going and the firefighters stayed at the party for about an hour about putting it out.

Best damn night of my life.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

My story is similar to the one above:

While vacationing in Wheeling, West Virginia, I decided to spend some time on one of their famous beaches. The Pacific is a little cold in December, but I happily skipped in and dove among the waves and Great Whites.

I had stuffed my bikini with cantaloupes prior to venturing in, and I discovered that the weight of these fruits wore heavily on my Pygmy body. While considering whether to remove the cantaloupes or just sink, a young surfer crashed heavily into some nearby waves. I watched him claw at the ocean in a struggle for his life. He died.

I remember thinking that if I took the cantaloupes out, perhaps I could save him. But it's hard to find perfectly ripe melons.

Sometimes I think the surfer might have been The One. I'll never know.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nice, CB. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted