1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you know your spouse was 'The One?'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 27, 2012.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My wife-to-be moved into the duplex next to my sister and her husband at college. They became friendly with her and invited her to accompany them to a show (Arlo Guthrie, of all people) in New Orleans, where they were going to meet me and my housemates.

At the time I was sharing a house with my brother and my sister's husband's brother. My sister had the future Mrs. Albert set up for a blind date with me, and my bro-in-law had her set up for a blind date with HIS brother.

We all piled in a car for the show, and I happened to sit next to her in the back seat. Sparks were already flying. We both knew when we somehow found ourselves holding hands in front of the stage that night that there was mucho mojo between us. My roomie never had a chance, a subject we all still laugh about to this day. That was 30 years ago last month, and we're still as much in love as we were the night we met.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wasn't around for that thread, but I've been reading long enough to have read all about it.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

After meeting the future Mrs. Gomer we started dating - for nine days in a row. On the ninth day I bought her nine roses.

I can't remember if it was that night or the next, but we sat on her parents' front porch (yes, she still lived with her parents) and I told her I thought we needed to spend a bit of time apart, just for space. It was too much, too soon, and I think I was a bit overwhelmed.

Well, she started crying, I started crying, and I pretty much sobbed uncontrollably the entire ride home. I think the forced break lasted 48 hours, tops, before we resumed things. But I'll never forget that night. That was when I knew, but I was still scared of what it meant.

That was 12 years ago. We're expecting our first child this fall.

4. burroughsmvp

burroughsmvp New Member

Longtime listener, first time caller... but had to share my story.

Got into a bad car accident heading to cover a high school football game. Wasn't wearing a seat belt and flew through the top of my soft top jeep.

Taken to the hospital with bad head injuries and put in ICU, practically in a coma. Didn't open my eyes, didn't talk, and barely moved when doctors examined me. Happened on the 22nd of December and nothing changed on the 23rd or 24th.

On the 25th, Christmas Day, my parents were told there was a good chance I'd stay like that for the rest of my life.

On the 26th, the girl I liked came in from out of town to see me. She met my Mom near the elevator and was led to my room in ICU. My Mom "announced" that someone was there to see me.

The girl touched my arm and said my name. I opened my eyes, grabbed her hand, and started talking.

We were engaged six months later. Last week we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Winner, winner, Christmas dinner.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

About halfway through the first ...

Seriously, every time I tell my story, I get a look of utter confusion and disbelief. :D

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, you were going to cover a high school football game on Dec. 22? Where was this?

8. burroughsmvp

burroughsmvp New Member

Wait a minute, you were going to cover a high school football game on Dec. 22? Where was this?

Texas. State championship games are the weekend before Christmas.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Found a video of Gomer and his future wife.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That's really sweet. Dick.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

F*ing awesome!

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I married the first woman I ever dated I knew was both smarter and funnier than me. We've been married 29 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted