1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you know your spouse was 'The One?'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 27, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I thought maybe some folks around here had some cool stories they could tell without outing themselves.

Obviously, I'd tell my stories but I've done it wrong twice :p, so I'm not sure what that would add to the discussion.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pretty much at first sight. It scared the shit out of me.

I met my wife while standing in line at a store. An old woman was paying for something and counting out every last cent. I turned around and rolled my eyes and this woman standing behind me was making the identical face. We both laughed.

I didn't do anything about it, but ran to another store to pick something up. As luck would have it, she was there as well. I saw her and walked up to her and said, "Twice in the same day, I think someone is telling me to ask for your number."

She gave me her number. She took mine.

She called me that night, we talked for four hours.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

She and I were students at UGA; took a weekend trip to visit friends and barhop in Atlanta. Last bar of the night (in Va-Hi, for those in the know), and I've whipped out the cigarettes, as was my wont at the time. She punches me softly in the chest and tells me that she doesn't like it when I smoke, and that it's a big deal for her that I quit. I ask her why exactly it matters so much, and she starts to cry like crazy and keeps repeating that she wants to marry me someday.

So I asked her to a year-and-a-half later. 5th anniversary in June.

I had been with women before her, women who told me that they loved me and treated me like they loved me. But that was the first time any woman had ever really put her absolute raw emotions out on the table about how she felt about me, knowing that I could just brush them all aside.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I hate, hate, hate talking on the phone. I mean, I call my Mom once every 6 months and talk for 5 minutes or less. So I knew something was up when I was picking up the phone and calling several times a day just to see how his day was going.

And SWS .... we met at our local watering hole. :)

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had a freshman year class with her. We didn't speak much - just a "hi" on campus here and there. But I knew she was my type. Embarrassingly, I can remember daydreaming about a life with her, even though we barely knew each other. It just seemed right.

A year or so later, my friend was dating a friend of hers. She was trying to play match maker with me, and I casually said, "What about Blank?" And she looked anguished - "She'd be perfect! But she's taken."

We ended up in the same circle when another friend dated a friend of hers junior and senior year, but she was still attached.

Finally, six years after that freshman Comp class, we went on a first date together, a group thing. Knew pretty much then. After about the first month or so, I knew we'd never break up.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I was working at Domino's and she was dating another delivery driver. He was an awful person, did drugs, drank a lot, cheated on her. He would call and tell her to meet him at work after his shift, then would leave before she got there and stand her up. I just thought she was awesome. Eventually, I managed to convince her that while my bar was pretty low, it wasn't THAT low and she left him and we started dating. I felt like she was the one almost right away, but had no idea what her thoughts were on the matter. About 6 months later, I pulled the car over on the way home, and started to get on one knee right there in the vehicle. I am not a small man and I do not know why I thought I had to get under the steering wheel (it's possible I thought it would be funny). She asked what I was doing and I said "trying to ask you to marry me dammit". So her proposal included cussing...

But it worked, next Wednesday will be our 25th anniversary. ;D

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one what?

8. I'd like to know when my wife thought I was the one... And I out-kicked my coverage in landing her.

Sure I was cute as hell and charming to boot - but still an immature, beer-guzzling frat boy who never imagined life as a stable husband and father.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We met while members of a college organization and had chatted a bit and I knew her first name. One day, I was in the office and saw her full name on the list of organization members. I just had this strange feeling that we were going to be seeing a lot more of each other.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

When I was a young lad, I used to shine shoes. One day this gentleman walked in to the store with his daughter. I couldn't stop looking at her, she was so beautiful. She smiled at me, so, I decided to start talking to her. I went on a date with her a week later and have been with her ever since. I've been married for over forty-years. I hope she's the one :D.

11. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

This is great.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What was your previous username?

Draft saved Draft deleted