1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The last two times I darkened the door of a Walmart I was looking for a CD release I was excited about. That should tell you how long ago it has been.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

No offense but almost everything about this post makes me wonder what rock you’ve been living under!

Walmart is overflowing with weirdos no matter where you shop. It’s the ONLY option for a lot of stuff in my town, so everyone has to go, right? But you still see the strangest people at Walmart that you never, ever see anywhere else in town. It’s incredible. And you walk into one of the 24/7 ones and it’s just another level still. It’s truly amazing how many full families go shopping at 2 a.m. That’s surely a lot of privilege talking for me there but man, I’m always amazed when someone has their 2 y.o. At Walmart in the middle of the night to go shopping for toys or furniture or something that doesn’t seem essential.

And “Florida man” is one of the internet ... ok, the countries, beat ongoing jokes!

Edit to say: I live like 200 yards from a Walmart. I’m probably a weirdo, too! In my defense, it’s behind a big berm.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of my two trips to Walmart was when I was visiting my parents and they needed to pick up film they were having developed.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thank God for Freddie's and BiMart!

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Bubbler's post from 12-15 years ago "₩almart at midnight"?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dude, I can help you with that stuff.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I actually prefer a couple of local places for saltwater supplies and Academy Sports for most of my stuff, but in a pinch, Walmart is 15 minutes away; Academy is 35.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’ve shopped at Walmart online.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I was coming home from a Football Friday night in the office. My wife calls and says she needs to make a cake first thing in the morning and could I stop by a store and get a couple of things she needed. Only place open, without a big detour, was Walmart. This was the night before hunting season opened and these two upstanding members of society were buying ammunition before they took off for places unknown. Said one: "What are you hunting?" Said the other: "I don't care. I just want to shoot something." Got the hell out of there quickly ....

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Fair — I’m an Acela corridor person with lots of options close. We have all sorts of grocery stores within a couple of miles (our rotation is 5 stores)and I’m a fiend in terms of sales and coupons. And I use BJs and Target for big box items every month or so.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

30-40 pound bag of dog food, 7 pound box of milk bones, case of bounty, case of Charmin. Paper plates and napkins. All delivered free. I’ll pay an extra couple of dollars, maybe, to avoid shopping for bulky items and having to schlep them home. I have learned that liquid laundry detergent is not easy to ship.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What do they have in common?

1. More than half the states BORDER the state which houses the corporate headquarters, which (duh!) is No. 1 on the list. South Carolina is the only state where you have to cross three state borders from Arkansas to reach.
    2. None of the states have megalopolises with 25,000 people per square mile, which is why they rank high "per capita."

Guess which state has the most Starbucks per capita? Washington, duh!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted