1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did the Cleveland Cavs get a sword in their logo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 27, 2009.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Cross sports. Marlins, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, Jaguars. The D-Backs and D-Rays have already had multiple rebranding efforts in just over ten years to cover up the Teal Era. Well done.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The San Jose Sharks are still a part of The Teal Revolution. And how can we forget (either in the Teal or Purple families), the Seattle Mariners, the Carolina Panthers and the Toronto Raptors? The Raptors were the worst offenders of the bunch and have also been redesigned with red, white and black.

Don't get me started on black as an alternate color. Gar.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Washington should really go back to the red, white and blue color scheme

[​IMG]

4. king cranium maximus IV

Heck, we've forgotten probably the worst:

[​IMG]

This was the logo on the Ducks' old alternate. Horrifying.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Heck, that wasn't even the worst logo in Anaheim.

[​IMG]

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Periwinkle!

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's all about marketing and it seems these things go in cycles. A few years ago, the retro jerseys were all the rage.

When I was younger, I really liked the rainbow stripes of the Denver Nuggets (1982-89) and Houston Astros (1970s, early 80s). If anything, baseball uniforms seem to be too bland, just home white and road greys with a name across the chest. Except for a few pinstripes, they all look the same.

As for teal, I chalk that up to teams wanting to create their own indenties and not copy someone else's colour schemes. Most of the teal teams were expansion teams and wanted a unique look.

8. the fop

the fop Member

Teal and purple followed black and silver in the late 80s early 90s, their popularity enhanced by sales of Raiders gear and I believe the White Sox, when they switched to the black unis around the time new Comiskey opened.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the L.A. Kings switching to silver and black around '88.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you, OHB.

Once again, folks, the Panthers wear electric blue. The Jacksonville Jaguars wear teal.

One of owner Jerry Richardson's sons really wanted to combine black and electric blue, and obviously got his wish. The electric blue is freaking hideous as a primary color, though it makes a decent trim color for jerseys and gear. Again, the Panthers are NOT part of the Teal Revolution. The Charlotte Hornets did enough to stir that pot.

11. king cranium maximus IV

Panthers may not be a part of the Teal Revolution, but

[​IMG]

their wordmark screams "1994 Starter Jacket!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted