1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did the Cleveland Cavs get a sword in their logo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 27, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

ya know, Christopher Cross never got the props he deserved......especially when you consider his illegitmate kids took the name and made a mockery out of kris kros.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When you get caught between the moon and New York City....

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

^^^The best that he can do is fall in love.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, in the mid 1990s, it seems the new rage was to come out with some new wave logo and uniforms with funky colour schemes. Seattle did it, so did Detroit, so did Atlanta, Houston and some others. That lasted 5-7 years and nearly all of them went back to the more traditional looks of the 1970s and 80s: Houston to red and white, Seattle to green and yellow, Detroit to red and blue, Cleveland to wine and gold.

Actually, if you look closely at the original Cavaliers logo from the 1970s, there is a man carrying a small sword in that one, too. And also a sword in the University of Virginia Cavaliers' logo. Guess you can't be a Cavalier without a sword.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am not a jersey guy, but if I were going to buy one that would be it. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Probably the greatest jersey design in the NBA's history.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

From Merriam-Webster ...

Main Entry: 1cav·a·lier
    Pronunciation: \ˌka-və-ˈlir\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, from Old Italian cavaliere, from Old Occitan cavalier, from Late Latin caballarius horseman, from Latin caballus
    Date: 1589
    1: a gentleman trained in arms and horsemanship
    2: a mounted soldier : knight
    3capitalized : an adherent of Charles I of England
    4: gallant

Surprised there are no stallions running around the court, Florida State-style.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Ah, the NBA in the mid-90s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sigh.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

Dont forget these.

[​IMG]

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't forget ...

[​IMG]

And the regrettable decision to go with purple for a decade. Blech.

As for the Cavs' sword, it appears they may fall on it.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Purple and teal were all the rage back then after Charlotte popularized it. Sacramento overhauled their look from blue and red to purple and black around 1994. Vancouver went with teal when they entered the league and, as you mentioned, Milwaukee went with Purple. Detroit switched to teal with that Gawd-awful Mustang logo. San Antonio had that stupid color splash of orange, pink and teal. Who am I leaving out.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Give credit to (and I hate that I'm saying this) Oregon. As ridiculous as their uniforms are, in all their six thousand varieties, at least they've 1) stuck to their guns and 2) stuck with big, bold, obviously outlined colors. The Jazz mountain jersey, that Bucks alternate, the Mutombo gradient, the Pistons teal...they all seem like something came off on them in the wash.

Draft saved Draft deleted