1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did sports transport you ... or crush you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The Milwaukee Brewers losing to the bullshit St. Louis Cardinals in seven games in the 1982 World Series.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

When did sports crush me -- 7th grade year, my basketball game is undefeated, we get beat by 1 point after the officials reward a free throw to the worst free throw shooter on the team instead of who it should have gone too. To this day I think it was rigged.

The other time, 8th grade year, softball team is undefeated, we're playing the defending league champs. I swear to God I have never seen 8th-grade girls that massive. They kicked our asses. We were devestated. Course the next year in high school, we kicked their asses and advanced to regionals. It was all good.

As far as transporting me, watching Katie Smith pick apart my high school's basketball team was amazing to watch. Being from a very small town, I'd never seen basketball played like that in person before.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

1992. When Sid Slid.

Not just because it was a crushing loss that kept the Pirates from the World Series. It was also because I knew it was all over for them. Barry Bonds was going to leave as a free agent. So was Doug Drabek.

If you had told me then just how bad the 13 seasons that followed would be, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Leon Fucking Durham motherfuckermotherfuckermotherfucker

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gilmour took a dive.

To that end ... Marty McSorley. Curved stick. Penalty. Habs power-play goal. Series tied. Series over. Fucking Habs.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ah, well,if we're talking hometown stuff: 1978 Ohio Single A Boy Basketball tournament. My alma mater, Mansfield St. Peter's, had what I still consider one of the best high school teams the area's ever seen. My god, we had a 6-10 junior center (Leo Brown), for Christ's sake! There were a pair of 6-6 forwards, and a great lights-out shooter in Kris "The Polish Rifle" Kowalski. There was "The Rumble Section" of fans that made the home gym, a tiny place, distractingly loud. They won the title, and there was a caravan all the way from Columbus to Mansfield after the win. Sparked basketball in North Central Ohio for decades to come.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My 84 Cubs story: I'm in high school. Dad works for a car dealership in Arlington, Texas, home of the Texas Rangers and skanky Olive Garden waitresses. The company has a nationwide contest: Guess the MVP of the 84 NBA or NHL playoffs, be eligible for a drawing to win World Series tickets. Dad brings home the entry form for his dorky sports information expert son to fill out.

So, little puckhead that I am, I picked Mark Messier of the Oilers to take the MVP and sure enough, he did. I'm eligible for the drawing and whaddaya know, I win. To this day, only time I ever won a contest. Mom, Dad and I are guaranteed a trip to the World Series...but who, and where? This all happens in June.

Well, we know the rest: a magical summer. Cubs win! Cubs win the East! Chicago bitchslaps the Pads in Game One 13-0. Sutcliffe throws a shoutout. Trout and Smith hold San Diego to a pair of runs as the Cubs win Game Two 4-2. We're all beside ourselves with anticipation...we're going to Chicago, Dad's home town...to see the freaking Cubs in the World Series! So what if a thumping by the Tigers seems inevitable. A World Series game at Wrigley Field... :D

So the Cubs piss away Games Three and Four. Game Five, Cubs take a 3-0 lead...Sutcliffe's on the hill...we're going to the World Series after all, right? Ummm...no. Durham, Gwynn, Garvey, errr... :-X

So we got to go to Detroit. :-\
    I couldn't even set any cars on fire 'cause I was with my folks.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Transport:
    (hi Rosie! :D)

Crush-me: Gene Larkin. Game 7. (hi Rosie! :'()

Both brought me to tears, 12 years apart. Two of the most heart-wrenching/pulling/ripping games I've ever seen in my life.

9. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

fixed

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hometown crush: My junior year in high school, our boys' basketball team was one of the best in our region. They won 23 games that year, third behind the region champs and the runners-up. We played the runners-up -- a team that beat us 85-69 earlier in the year -- in the semis and it was the best game that year.

Game went to 3 OT, with neither team gaining an advantage. There was a senior that year who broke both of his wrists near the middle of the season and sat out every game. He came in the game in the fourth quarter and hit a bunch of big 3-pointers that got us back in the game.

The game went back-and-forth in all the overtime periods, but E'town hit its free throws down the stretch and we couldn't. It's still one of the best high school games I've ever watched, despite the fact that our arch rivals beat us.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Fucking Maier.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Damn! Sounds like a helluva game, KY. How does a kid break both wrists?

Draft saved Draft deleted