1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did newspapers start covering high school sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, May 14, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that that DB did the first DB on sportsjournalists.com. Can anyone trace this back to its orgin?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe the parents of "Tom Sawyer" are Lee, Lifeson, Peart and Pye Dubois.

(I know y'all love RUSH ...)

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

But I thought he was from Idaho?

You only cover us when our charioteers ride into the middle of the Red Sea and drown.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I want the original poster to come back and explain what he really wanted to know...course, I'm old and crotchedy. I've got clips from my high school career that are, gasp, definitely older than 20 years.

5. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Awesome.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Big Train? No, he only spent parts of two summers in Idaho. He was born in Kansas, spent his formative years in SoCal. After he got released by Tacoma of the PCL in 1906, he went to Weiser, Idaho, and joined a semipro team there. The next summer, somebody starting sending a bunch of telegrams to Washington, D.C.:

"This boy throws so fast you can't see 'em... and he knows where he is throwing the ball because if he didn't there would be dead bodies strewn all over Idaho."

And the rest is history.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It was the illusion of the curve that got him. [/crossthread]

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's what Jesus and I have in common - neither of us can see the curve to hit it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're saying Jesus can't hit a curveball?

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I laughed.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The East of Eden Press, though, had no balls in its coverage. Never explained to its readers why Cain and Abel didn't play in the county tournament.

12. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Jesus wept.

Draft saved Draft deleted