1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did newspapers start covering high school sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, May 14, 2009.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I've been told several times that "back in the old days" our little community paper not only covered preps but also had thorough coverage of little league, etc. -- scores, standings, photos. "How come you don't do that anymore?"

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I hope, maybe, that the original question was meant as, "When did the coverage of high school sports by national publications become popular?"

If so, the original answer would be semi-right. If not, eek.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I thought newspapers began covering high school sports when Tim Tebow was a freshman.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Our paper ran complete play-by-play descriptions of every football game, home and away, in 1913 (the year the hometown school started an official team). Before that, they provided regular coverage of the town's independent football, base ball, and basketball teams.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He was playing varsity as a sixth grader, heathen.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But did they cover the dance team's competitions in the Charleston?

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What a waste of space. I could totally get that on the internet in 1913 for free.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

No room left, after all that scintillating play-by-play.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

L.A. is the same way, too. Go back and read some stories of Walter Johnson playing high school baseball in Fullerton in the first decade of the 20th century. Or Fred Snodgrass at LAHS. Just about every paper in SoCal covered high school sports in their communities 100 years ago.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was going to comment but then saw the topic had been covered nicely. I'm sure in many towns, high school sports were BIGGER than anything else not that long ago -- and having typed that, there are probably a lot of towns where that's generally still true today.

I'm thinking the original post was, as somebody else said, about this whole national coverage business. I hope.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Corinthians went to press without a late result from district semifinal between Ephesus and Jerusalem Central. got it in time for 2 Corinthians, but they still got a ton of angry scrolls ...

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This post reminded me of one of my favorite "look-backs:"

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/02/sports/sp-breababe2

Draft saved Draft deleted