1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did LOST jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 25, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think it pretty clearly jumped the shark the moment they started the sideways timeline in Season Six. To me, they very clearly couldn't come up with answers to the show's biggest mysteries without pissing off large portions of fans who had much, much cooler explanations for it so they just decided to say "F**k it. The mysteries don't matter" and Lost apologists, on this site especially, tried to reason that things like the numbers were irrelevant because they were afraid to admit the truth: the writers let us down.

That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of the show and out of the finale and I will do a rewatch again someday despite the disappointment I now feel in the ending because it was a truly unique and wonderful show to watch.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For me? When Jacob went from all-powerful mysterious awesome guy to a barely functional child.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's interesting to me about Lost is that it has no rewatch value to me whatsoever.

Almost anything I like, I watch/read/listen to repeatedly. There are shows I've watched dozens of times.

But I can't find a single Lost episode that I feel like watching again, even though I enjoyed it the first time through.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The ending of the Constant remains one of the best moments of TV I've ever watched.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Jesus, someone's starting a "jump the shark thread" about this show?

I watched every episode with HC. Enjoyed it as mindless entertainment but it reminded me of "Twin Peaks" .

Lots of blather while it was on and then it faded into oblivion.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Nikki and Paulo or when John Locke was resurrected as The Man in Black.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!! :D

As for the topic: Season 2, Episode 1. I've said here plenty of times: Lost was a GREAT one-season idea, and the first season was largely fantastic. But then ABC said let's wring that cash cow til the utters go up in flames and the show went to complete utter shit in season two. I stopped watching and have less than zero interest in ever seeing how it turned out. But then again I'm not a nerd like Piotr. #ShitIsOn

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Oh wait, speaking of season two, introducing the "tailies" and quickly killing them off might be a jump the shark moment.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm not sure went it jumped the shark, but I never did watch the last eight episodes. They languished on the DVR until last summer, when I finally deleted them.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the show was that it built itself into something that couldn't support its weight. Each episode was still good, but as a whole it was a bit lacking.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I guess if all you cared about was the story, the A to Z of it all, then fine, but I enjoyed watching the show throughout its run.

I agree with Dan right above that it grew into promising more than it could ever deliver. The whole thing got so long and ... not really complex, but layered. Sometimes that wore on me, but I watched every episode as they came out and the vast majority of the time, I enjoyed that hour.

The larger story line, the mystery and the questions, were definitely a big part of the appeal, but Lost was a good show week to week, as well. If you skipped on that, that's fine. You could certainly have still picked up the story and found answers to the questions, but you didn't take in the show. You took in the story. I'm won't even argue that the journey made the end more meaningful. I'm just saying the journey was good by itself.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

::) You're so smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted