1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did LOST jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 25, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

To piggyback off of Dick's thread about The Office, when did LOST become the incomprehensible clusterfuck it was?

Given all of the storylines left unresolved, and the blatant bait-and-switches, I'd feel comfortable saying it jumped on Day 1.

Hindsight is 20-20, of course, but in retrospect, I can't see how anyone would argue differently.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

once they introduced the numbers you had to type in and button you had to push every 108 minutes or else the world blows up I went from watching each episode to reading recaps the next day to see if anythng happened and finding out usually nothing did

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Never found it an "incomprehensible CLUSTERFUCK!!!!!" but then, unlike many of those who couldn't follow it after the first season, it wasn't my first nerd rodeo.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It clearly wobbled when people were fucking in bear cages at the start of season three, but it was still a great show until the sideways timeline. I think it could still be a great show in some ways if you just wiped out the entire final season and put them all in the church when the bomb goes off.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It jumped the shark?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I actually liked the ending. Not the golden lake, but the sideways flashback explanation and the gathering at the church. Thought that was cool.

7. Double Down

Actually, it jumped the shark, landed, then went back in time to watch itself jumping the shark, then left the mystery of why the shark existed in the first place unanswered, then told you not to worry about the logical inconsistencies because it was really a story about how you felt about the shark, and the jumping was just the vehicle for you to examine that.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I think that sets up the rest of the thread nicely.

9. Double Down

If anything goes wrong, jumping the shark will be my constant.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I thought it wavered during Season 3, when they had episodes that felt like filler because the writers didn't know how long they were going to have to drag the show out. But once they set the end of Season 6 as the finale, I thought it got back its traction and finished as one of my favorite shows ever.

It wasn't perfect, but it never got into that area where they were still pumping out shows long after it had lost its fastball just because they could make so much money in syndication the Scrubs did. That, to me, is jumping the shark.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I watched the first two seasons, then not another minute until the pre-finale one-hour recap and then the finale. I don't think I missed a thing.

But I always said they should have had the Globetrotters come to the island.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Seriously end of thread!

Draft saved Draft deleted