1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did ESPN become ESPN!!11!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was just in a chat with someone and one thing leads to another ... I show the person the Miracle on Manchester when the Kings were down 5-0 to the Oilers, in the 3rd, but scored 5 to tie it and won it in overtime and how I was the happiest 11-year-old on the entire planet. And I was. In this video, Al Trautwig opens ...

... and the person I'm talking to said he worked with Al and how Al's health isn't so hot these days. I said that I grew up watching Al Trautwig doing national sports, before ESPN became ESPN. Got me wondering ... when exactly did ESPN become ESPN!!!11!!!11!

Was there a single moment? A game? A highlight? A SportsCenter soundbite?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Stuart Scott (RIP) was probably the biggest catalyst along with Stephen A.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not sure when, but the question hit me in the last couple of days, when they paraded guest after guest on ESPN Radio to talk about the XFL.

Every one of them seemed to repeat "I'm not just talking this way because we are showing their games," followed by some of the most passionate fellating in the history of the world.

Embarrassing, and made me want to tune into the XFL less and less with every guest.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? This is what ESPN does, what it has been doing for years and what it will continue to do for the rest of its existence.

When it has broadcast rights, it is highlighted. When it has been outbid - looking at NASCAR and the NHL - it suddenly turns into background noise except for major - i.e., off-ice or away from the track issues - news.

Remember that they used to have highlight shows and discussion for NASCAR and the NHL. Now ... next to nothing. Pure coincidence, right?

Just when you think it really takes itself too seriously, the WWL finds a way to move the BS bar ever-so-slightly higher. It's like watching Sergei Bubka inching up the pole vault record.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There was definitely a sea change when shows like PTI came online in the early 2000s. Those years certainly mark a different direction taken by the four letter network.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I remember when MTV played music.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

or VH1

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

To answer the question: Chris “You’re with me, Leather” Berman and his insipid highlight announcing. He’s patient zero for that shit.

maumann and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Probably about the time ABC/Capital Cities influenced things with the buyout in 1984. Berman, particularly paired with Ley and Leonard, was way more on point in the years when Bill Rasmussen and Chet Simmons were in charge. But like anything, someone in marketing/sales decided if fans liked a little Berman schtick, then they'd really love a lot of Berman schtick.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

84 - they were able to broadcast multiple college football games, and yes they became a part of ABC.
    87 - they got the NFL
    92-3 - they added ESPN Radio, ESPN2 and became "a brand."

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I still can't believe they brought him and Tom Jackson back in the Year 2020 to roll out the same schtick they were doing 20 years ago.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted