1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Craigslist jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, May 29, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nine months ago, I found several rentable apartments on Craigslist when I was looking to move up here for my job.

Now, I've replied to probably 30 ads in the past week. All but two have turned out to be spam. It's not even worth the headache.

How hard would it be for them to hire someone to verify ads before they're posted? Has anyone else used it for apartment/house searches and found the same?

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have been looking at the ads for Vegas and seven of the 12 I clicked on had the same photo of the interior.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've stopped using Craigslist for this reason.

When I got laid off from my last gig in January; I searched the papers, databases and Craigslist for jobs. I must have replied to 30-40 different job openings and received no emails back, even jobs I was more than qualified for. Many to most of these jobs were not newspaper gigs, too.

Out of the 30-40 jobs I enquired for via email, I received only spam or no email back. I got ONE serious email back, but the position closed shortly after I applied for it.

4. imjustagirl

Yeah, but it's worse than that. One was posted the other day. It had an address. The picture on the ad matched the house at that address, according to GoogleMaps street view, which is more than I could say for some. The ad was written clearly, and like a real ad. I drove past the house.

And yet, the response to my e-mail came back full of typos and statements about living in West Africa.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I found my current job on Craigslist, but that was back in October. We looked at apartments and condos on there, but never got far enough to contact anyone about one.

But lots of spam crap, too. It's getting ridiculous compared to what it used to be like.

But to answer your question...maybe the beginning of the year?

6. imjustagirl

I mean, I expect the ones that are listed as $600 for a 4-BR house with lake views and an inground pool.

But some of these are like $700 1BR apartments. With realistic photos.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I wonder how effective rent.com is?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think we used apartments.com when we were looking. Ultimately, we found our current place on realtor.com. Usually a more expensive deposit since it's listed with an agent and all, but the rent is sometimes a lot cheaper. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

9. imjustagirl

I've used rent.com, apartments.com, forrent.com, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like complexes, I prefer one-off apartments, hence why I went with Craigslist. I'm just going to have to drive around, apparently.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I found the first place I lived in Vegas through an apartment finding service. Found them on the web, sent them my info and they did all the work and there was no charge.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've used the first two. Used rent.com for my previous place, and got a $100 Visa prepaid card for it. That was cool.

I used the paper I work at to find our current place (actually, that's not true -- I found a different unit in the paper, then we saw the "for rent" sign on the garage when we came to look at the other one. Called that number, came back to look and it was perfect.)

Anyway, I always recommend driving around, if you can help it. That's where I've had the best luck and found the best places.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Friend of mine posted a personal ad on there.

Ninety percent of his responses were spam, and about 50 percent of those were the same e-mails.

Draft saved Draft deleted