1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did AP start trying cases?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ira_Schoffel, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2006/08/04/448723.html&cvqh=tis_davis

Check out the three graphs toward the bottom. Could we get a "police said" or "allegedly" or something?

By Associated Press
    Fri Aug 4, 12:13 AM

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Detroit Pistons center Dale Davis was shocked with a stun gun and charged with assault and disorderly conduct in an altercation with Miami Beach police.

Davis was arrested Tuesday at a Miami Beach hotel and accused of threatening police, security guards and shouting profanities, police said.

Chubby Wells, Davis' agent, said he plans to file a lawsuit against police for their treatment of the 15-year NBA veteran.

"It was so ridiculous, it's unbelievable," Wells said. "We're going to take a stand."

Police were called to the hotel by the security workers and Davis was repeatedly asked to leave, but refused, according to the report.

After giving officers his identification, Davis and the officers went outside, where the 6-foot-11 player accused the officers of targeting him because he is black. Police said they asked Davis to remove his hands from his pockets for officer safety, and Davis complied after asking officers if they were going to shoot him.

Davis pulled out money, three cellular phones and credit cards. He put the items back in his pockets and said he'd beat up the officers if they took off their badges and got rid of their guns.

Davis then balled his fists and began walking toward officers in an aggressive manner, and he was warned that he would be hit with a Taser gun if he continued.

He didn't stop, and an officer used the stun gun to hit Davis in the chest and he fell to the ground. He was taken into custody and charged with assault, assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence.

Davis played for Indiana, Portland and Golden State before joining the Pistons as a reserve last season. A Detroit spokesmen didn't return phone messages seeking comment Friday.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought AP was switching to Latin.

Nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I hear what you're saying, but I can also see why the two citations underlined and bolded might do the trick.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

In your world, maybe.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Sorry, but one "police said" and one "according to the report" don't cover an entire story. Maybe one ensuing graph ... maybe one ... but not three.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You are, beyond a doubt, the most negative asshole on this board. Bar none.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's basic, basic, basic journalism. I'd point this out to anyone.

But I'd certainly be a lot more tactful if I weren't dealing with a fucktarded prick who goes out of his way to be an asshole whenever possible. The latest is his joke of a post about an outing rule that he enforces whenever he feels like and either fucking ignores or breaks himself the rest of the time.

But I guess if people don't want to be insulted, they should either learn the basics or stop throwing stones.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dont see where he provoked you at all on this thread. A comment was made about the attribution -- set up by the two previous grafs.
    You came back with a smarmy shot back for no reason other than "because he's an asshole."

If he shoots you down, then you have just cause.
    Just because, however, is no reason.

You don't like selective enforcement? You have options. You might not like the options, but you have options -- the same as everyone else.
    Treat people with civility occasionally and you might find you have a little more leeway.

In other words

[​IMG]

"lighten up, Francis."

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That sword cuts both ways. But I have no intention of treating someone with any civility when they go out of their way to be a prick consistently.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I got no problems with requiring more attribution. I posted what I did to foster the debate, for the most part.

As for the other comments on the thread, well, consider the source.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right. And when that person takes an uninitiated shot at you for no reason, he's fair game. But his job is also to play traffic cop and step in where he sees fit.
    But I also see that he is not the person to take an unprovoked shot. He's not going to say "he hit me back first."
    In other posts, you two might have disputes.
    In this case, he did nothing to provoke you, nothing to provoke anyone -- yet you felt the need to jump in and hit him. If someone else, say "Tom Petty", had said the exact same thing, would you have honestly made that effort to take the shot? My guess is not.
    Roll with things for a while. That's all. Dont take things personal.
    To paraphrase a former assistant basketball coach at Indiana, "When someone calls you an asshole, ignore it. When they tell you why you are being an asshole, you might want to listen."

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Which is what I was doing with your comment. Since IMO, your credibility is well below zero, I wouldn't listen to you if you told me it was night out.

"In your world, maybe" is really, really tame.

Draft saved Draft deleted