1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When columnists drink the Kool-Aid too often and for too long

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Charlie Brown, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Boy, you really went out on a limb, sir. Coming to the defense of poor, picked-on Alabama in an Alabama newspaper and dumping on Urban Meyer from a safe distance?

This is embarrassing stuff.

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pfinebaum.ssf?/base/sports/1246958154140410.xml&coll=3

How about the last graf?

In one of the most anticipated battles of the upcoming season, USA Today's sports analyst Danny Sheridan says Florida could be favored by as many as "25 to 27 points" for the Sept. 19 game between Lane Kiffin and Meyer at the Swamp. Florida could win by 50, that is if Meyer can get all of his starters out on parole by then.

When did Meyer pee in Finebaum's cornflakes? Oh, by picking on Nick Saban, I guess.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I prefer drinking the Flavor-Aid myself.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Hater-Aid anyone?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Finebaum's a self-important clown. Always has been.

No matter what he says on the occasions he does tweak Bama, he's still the same little turd who gets paid by Fox6 in Birmingham for hard-hitting stories like eating breakfast with Nick Saban and the Fox6 sports staff.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They even teased his column in yesterday's newspaper, letting readers know that something BIG was going to happen at Florida.

His opinions change from day to day. Tomorrow, he'll throw Saban under the bus and claim Meyer is the greatest coach in the country. Thursday, he'll say both Saban and Meyer suck and that Gene Chizik is the next great coach.

Blah, blah, blah. Anyone who takes him, or anything he writes, seriously is a fool.

6. Yeah, this was embarrassing, fan-boy message board shit.

7. JackReacher

You mean the entire state of Alabama, when it comes to college football?

The best part of every newspaper story in the state are the comments at the bottom. Classy people, they are.

8. mb

mb Active Member

You're right. You NEVER see that shit anywhere but Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

Never said it didn't happen anywhere else. The topic being discussed is Alabama, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved the book "Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John, who includes a chapter on Finebaum. A great look at the SEC in general and Bama in particular. Heard St. John on Dennis Miller's radio show yesterday, he was talking about his new book on The Fugees soccer team from Georgia.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

He's always been this way.

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Damn, that was beyond embarrassing. Dude wouldn't last a week in my market.

How long has that clown been covering college football? He acts like the Urban Legend and Kyle Whittingham are the first two coaches to talk about a common opponent.

Hey Alabama Assclown -- It happens every Monday and Tuesday all around the country.

First time I ever heard of you and hope it's the last.

Draft saved Draft deleted