1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When 'caring too much about quesadillas and margaritas' goes wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 27, 2012.

1. The Appalachian, a student newspaper, uses social media to report a Mexican Restaurant is closing. It's not.

People at the paper get pissed they are being hammered for botching the thing and start flaming the ones pointing fingers at them and as Jim Romenseko notes, delivers the most belligerent newspaper apology ever.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/04/27/the-most-belligerent-newspaper-apology-ever/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'll pry the quesadillas from from my cold, passed-out hands only when I'm in a margarita coma.

Nice apology, Appy.

How about buying a bucket of humility and sharing with the staff?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that editorial has a job waiting at PFT. That's exactly what Florio sounds like when he is forced to admit he's wrong (which is itself about 5 percent of the time he's actually wrong, the apologies being reserved for only the most egregious and unavoidable cases).

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Student journalists do a lot of dumb things. This was one of those. Your chance to tell your audience what's important should be in news value decisions. Not when you're pissed that they care that you got something wrong that you think is trivial. And I'd bet the average student's life is far more affected by a favorite restaurant's closure than a tuition hike that will just add another $1,000 to their $30,000 debt.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Aside from the tone, I do have to question the ideas portrayed. The quesadillas can vary in quality, so maybe you can take them or leave them, but no amount of caring is "too much" when it comes to college students and margaritas.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought this would be about the Grand Forks Olive Garden getting some competition.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

At least one student at Appalachian State has no clue what slander means.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was at ASU before liquor sales, but the quesadillas are quite good.

Draft saved Draft deleted