1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When bloggers are accredited

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What has happened when bloggers, who are not affiliated with a professional media outlet or team, are accredited for events? Are there specific examples of them asking questions so angering players, coaches or mangers that they cut off the interview session, negatively impacting the work of professional reporters? Have bloggers acted so unprofessionally (because either they have no clue about how to act professional or desire not to act professionally) that they hurt the reputations of professionals? Is there anything bloggers add to the mix through their questions and presence?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am just happy when they wear the pants their mom put at the top of the stairs for them.

Seriously, I've never heard of any problems. The NHL bloggers have been very professional. Yes, they're homers. But there are homers in the mainstream media — bloggers are just, for the more part, more transparent about it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm a "mainstream" guy, but I think the way the question is worded is a tad unfair to bloggers as a group. I've known some "mainstream" media people who could be assholes and disrupt press conferences with the best of them.

There are very knowedgeable and good bloggers -- more all the time given the state of the industry -- and some really crappy ones. Their behavior will get sorted out in the normal ways; in other words, if they're bad early on, they'll learn.

And finally, that genie isn't going back into the bottle anyway, so it's kind of moot.

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I assume you mean homers in terms of writing.

The writing isn't too important to me. What I'm interested in is their questions and how they act in the press box.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bottom line - if they don't affect how you do your job, it's none of your business why anyone is there or what they're doing while they're there.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

If someone asks a question that prompts someone to walk away, that affects how I do my job. Plus, anyone, even professionals, asking awful questions or acting unprofessional makes the experience less pleasant.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

So why single out bloggers? What's your beef with them?

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'm singling out bloggers because accrediting them is a relatively new development, I am wondering what the standards to be accredited are (I know they vary from organization to organization), the fact you can be self-appointed rather than hired and the possibility that some bloggers just view being accredited as a way to get into games free.

Years ago when I was starting out, at a now-defunct newspaper, I was accused by a public relations director, of just wanting a credential to get into a game for free, so that is something that has stuck in my craw. This was for a paper that was 55 years old at the time and had significant readership. (Paper had previously not covered college or professional events.)

There is still some organizations that make it difficult for me to be accredited, or do not accredit me, although I am now at a company that is 80 years old, but previously not covered college or professional events.

I also think acting professionally is important.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Look at it this way — an 80-year-old paper (like that matters, but I digress) has never covered college or professional sports, but is now looking for credentials. And it sticks in your craw that the PR director is asking why?
    Going back to my initial post — homerism is a state of mind. It does not manifest itself in just the writing of the fanboi, but in the questions asked. While it is not likely to drive away a player or coach, sometimes a little blow-up is a good thing.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Problem then was the attitude of the PR person. I had sent in a letter on company letterhead. I did end up getting a credential. I still don't think there is much of a ticket-buying market of reporters from small media outlets. He seemed to be thinking, "If I accredit this guy, that means one less ticket sold."

The occasional problem now is from PR person/SID is, "Is this something you usually cover?" "No, then no credential." That does not take into account increased sports coverage or special nature of event.

SID, who turned me down for team's opener, then later accredited me for season finale against arch rival asked, "Do you really want to cover this," thinking why would I want to cover one-sided loss by his team. I answered yes.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is dumb. Reporters affiliated with major media outlets do this stuff often enough themselves.

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

And the question is, why suddenly were all the old-ass papers you were working for, which had never covered the stuff, suddenly trying to cover it?

I would argue that at least a blog covering a team or a league has an established (albeit relatively recent, based on the medium) mission to cover that team or that league, as opposed to a writer from a paper that has never covered a team or a league suddenly wanting to.

Which one sounds more sketchy if you're the SID? Maybe the newspaper guy, despite it being "old" media. Sounds like this thread is a personal gripe that bloggers have been able to get credentialed by places that gave you a hard time.

Draft saved Draft deleted