1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When bench clearing lacrosse brawls breakout

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 15, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Commissioner wouldn't say who was suspended. Nanaimo had a coach who was filling in for their regular coach, however, so a suspension to him I don't think would mean much. It was a 15-4 game in the second period for Coquitlam when this broke out. Game was called afterwards.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When does the outdoor season start in B.C.?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

September through March

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, I can tell you that intermediate-level lacrosse is the equivalent of one step down from junior varsity. How many people do you expect to show up to watch intramural basketball at your local high school?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No it's not the equivalent, not even close. The hockey equivalent would be major midget or midget AAA.

In BC this is the top level for 16 and 17 year olds.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry for the mistaken assumption. I was going by what I know about Ontario lacrosse, and in Ontario the junior and intermediate age divisions are the same. You play intermediate when you're not good enough to make a Junior B team.

Hell, we have a Junior C league here now that started with five teams in 2008 and expanded to 18 teams last year.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The team in the white and black, if I saw this correctly, were bigger and stronger than the other team and started the brawl. They were cheap shotting every chance they could. They should be punished as severely as the league allows.

What I do love about this video is watching #27 for purple and yellow. One kid from the white team though he grabbed a smaller kid to fight, then there was the "oh shit" moment when #27 ripped his helmet off to go. Loved seeing that thug realizing he just fucked with a young Domi.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why it isn't the same across the country but Junior here starts at 18. There are kids who play up like in hockey but the majority play intermediate.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The white team was losing 15-4 and the purple and yellow team were taunting them, they are known for it. That doesn't make it right, not by a long shot. What happened was disgusting and the players and coaches are getting off very easy from what I hear.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow. Even though it is wrong, could some people think the purple team had it coming, and this is the reason for the lack of action?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that deep. I just think the league is caught off guard.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

On a serious note, we discussed what to do in the event of a bench-clearing brawl when I trained for my year as a boys lacrosse referee. Basically, don't touch any of the kids and note the numbers of who got involved so we could eject them when everything had blown over.

We were to give verbal instructions to get the kids to stop the fight but not physically get in there. Partly for our own safety since the kids were often bigger than the adults and partly because the parents of those (mostly) rich kids would likely sue us into oblivion.

Draft saved Draft deleted