1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When applying for jobs — Electronic or hard copy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mltru2tx, May 19, 2007.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

What do sports editors prefer? I'd assume electronic for its convenience and speed, but is there anything to be said for getting a resume and clips in the mail? Or does no one do that anymore?

2. It usually says in the ad.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Thanks. I know how to read a job posting. Some of them say either/or and I was just curious if there was some secret amongst sports editors as to which was actually preferred, if any.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I always prefer a hard copy. hate downloading and printing a resume.
    you're asking me for a job, yet i do all the work?
    nope. i don't think so. homie don't play that.

5. If they give you an option do what's best for you. If you're actively looking for a job, prepare to do both.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I know writers who keep their clips in PDF formats on CDs and mail the CDs to out with the resume.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I try to keep the PDFs, but I also have paper versions.

In my opinion, the editor or the hiring manger will usually let you know what the preferred method is in the ad. Not following directions has an impact, at least when I'm hiring.

8. Words of wisdom here. You would be smart to follow Riddick's advice. Most sports editors have been in the business a while and like the old-fashioned resume and clips. Takes more work but will definitely have a better impact if you do it right.

Send in the hard copy over electronic unless otherwise specified. Electronic makes you look a bit lazy and if you want that job, that SE is going to want to know just how much you want it.

Draft saved Draft deleted