1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When an insult is taken as a compliment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murphyc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I was covering a public forum about several local schools possibly being closed. A guy I had talked to the week before at a previous meeting ranted about various things our daily competitor did, including running the bulk of the story on the obits page. Then he looked at me and yelled, "And Podunk Press, you're not off the hook, either. Reading your story last week was like just reading the facts. It was like in 'Dragnet': Just the facts, ma'am."
    It was clear the guy meant it as an insult, but I actually took it as a compliment. You found my piece to just present facts with no opinion thrown in? Then you just told me I did my job right.
    Anyone else have tales to tell of people meaning to insult you when they actually gave you an unintended compliment instead?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got this one on my radio show at my second-to-last newspaper gig.

"Sometimes I think you're the only writer there who doesn't care whether the team wins or loses."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn great thread concept, MurphyC

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

In the ultimate irony, one day you will dodge a falling icicle but in the process you will slip and crack your skull on an icy sidewalk.

The ice will not be denied. It's gonna get to your head one way or another.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This was my first thought. Or some bizarre incident involving Vanilla Ice.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted