1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when a team bats around in baseball.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YoungGun7, Jun 25, 2007.

1. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

how do you score that on the score sheet???

i'm about to start covering some high school summer league games, and i'm sure this might happen a time or two.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does it matter? Are you going to Xerox the sheet to run in the paper?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Make sure you get a book with more than 10 innings in it. When the team bats around, go into the next inning but cross out the number on top and write in the current inning. Repeat as desired.

If you're doing a lot of HS and summer league ball, get a book with 14 innings. You'll have your share of innings in which 10 or more batters step to the plate.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

If you're worried about space on the traditional scoresheet, don't use one. I never did. I kept score in noteboks so I could keep running notes alongide my personal scoresheet.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

That's what I do.

6. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

i was thinking just going to the next column was the right thing to do. i found some sheets online with 11 innings on them, but i will look for those with 14.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

I say good luck ... and I'm glad I don't cover crap like that in the summer — or any time of year — anymore.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True.

Nothing drove me crazier than being on a deadline or needing to get back to the shop, and the pitcher just could not find the plate. That, or the ump decides it's game seven and shinks the zone to a postage stamp.

I love baseball, but covering high school or legion crap will just suck the life out of you.

I once covered a game with a kid who fanned 10 or so batters and walked 13 in the same game. The poor schlub threw about 115 pitches just to those 10 outs and 23 batters. I'm guessing his pitch count was close to 200 by the time he went his seven innings.

It was borderline child abuse, but by the grace of God, the kid was clinging to a 6-5 lead the entire game. Oh, that game took nearly four hours.

9. you really couldn't figure this out yourself?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If the games are 7 innings long (and outside of Massachussetts, they usually are), a 10-11-inning scorebook will be fine.

Just shift all of the innings over one column.

Galyan's used to sell the easiest-to-use scorebooks, but they're long out of business now.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You could just put a slash underneath the first go-around to save space that way. If you are truly desperate, you could find some extra skin to write on. Just don't take a shower after the game and lose all of the stats.

Draft saved Draft deleted