1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a stranger calls

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bad reason to get a gun. Because the thing is, you never want to pull out that gun. And if you don't pull out the gun, what would it help in the situation?

If you do pull out that gun, you better be ready to use it.

2. To add a different voice:
    The guy did not threaten you.
    He did not trespass.
    He got in his car and ultimately drove away when you protested his presence.

And the majority of responders on this thread are prepared to shoot him.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I want it on the record that I said to hit him in the balls with the purple bat. Repeatedly. With much vigor.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, the majority of posters are not prepared to shoot him for his initial actions.

But if any future actions included entering the house uninvited or otherwise, then yes. Self-defense is appropriate and shooting him is one option.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The man's actions were threatening. He showed up uninvited and without warning on (or technically near, I guess) Dixie's property with the sole purpose of instilling fear. The man only drove away when Dixie initiated police involvement, not because the psycho's presence was "protested."

No one is advocating shooting this dude as the next step. No one.

I have no issue with anyone buying a gun for protection - I just don't know if I personally would pursue that course of action just yet. But, I understand why someone in Dixie's position would consider it an option.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would never buy a gun. Many more possible bad results than successful results. Do get the police and prosecutors to do their fuckin job. I know from experience that a cop can very well slack. And keep babysitting; don't let the terrorists win

7. I think you should re-read the posts. I didn't see anyone advocating shooting the guy.
    Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. And as nutty as this guy is showing up with the intnet to harm his kids and anyone who gets in his way is NOT outside the realm of possibilities.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Quiet day today at Happy Acres. We have been emailing a friend from church who practices criminal law, and he is helping us draw up paperwork for a restraining order. I'll have to take some time off work next week to go before a judge, but that is a small sacrifice and well worth it. I'm trying to stay calm and go about this the right way instead of letting my inner hillbilly white trash come out.

There is a chance he could show up here again, but my feeling is it was meant to intimidate the wife more than us. I'm hardly what you consider a frightening specimen (5'11" and a pudgy 240) but I have a good 3-4 inches on him, and he never took a step towards me once I came out to meet him. I do worry about him confronting my wife sometime when I'm not around, since he's a cowardly little shit that only goes after women. She's six months pregnant with our second child and doesn't need the extra strain. But odds are it is going to end in a confrontation between he and his wife. That's what all of us have expected from the beginning. And just as a PSA, the way the law works (or doesn't) for abused women is crappier than anything you could dream up for a Lifetime movie.

We will continue babysitting, at least for now. She has been good to our family for years and helped us out with our son many a time when we needed it well before any of this blew up.

Thank you to everyone who has expressed concern on this thread and in PMs.

9. You re-read the posts. The discussion immediately turned into what's the best gun to get, and at least one post said a next step would be shooting the guy.
    But no one stopped to say, "Hey, maybe acquiring a gun is a drastic step for what -- as I pointed out -- was a fairly innocuous encounter."

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Hey, maybe acquiring a gun is a drastic step for what was a fairly innocuous encounter.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Dixie - I hope the guy leaves you all alone. I don't see this as a "fairly innocuous encounter" and I wish the cops could do more.

As far as the gun stuff goes, I was pretty stunned that so many people advocated getting one. I don't know anyone who owns any type of gun. I guess I must be in the minority.

12. Finally, a voice of reason

Draft saved Draft deleted