1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a newspaper refuses to editorialize

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, May 5, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Hahahaha touche.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Completely agree. Cover the damn news and let readers make up their own minds. Whatever side you pick is going to alienate the others. And, God forbid, don't tick off any potential advertisers.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Almost did a spit take on that one ...

And while this issue has been a hot-button topic, dunno if it was quite the lightning rod that Jesse Helms was.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You needed that marriage. And you were the most qualified. But he had to marry a guy instead because of a homosexual quota.

[pair of hands crumples up engagement announcement]

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't really believe this is that divisive of an issue. When bans of gay marriage have been voted on in Southern states in recent years, they are supported by 80-90 percent of the voters.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You don't have to believe it, but it is. North Carolina has long been the most progressive of the Southern states. There's a major generational shift in attitudes toward gay marriage and this vote is coming in North Carolina years after the other Southern states voted on it.

Polling indicates it will pass with a majority somewhere in the 51-54% range. Even its primary sponsor admits that it will likely be repealed in 10-20 years because of changing attitudes. The issue also significantly splits the state's large rural regions and growing urban areas.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You are right. I crossed the line and apologize, Mr. Stephens, for my thoughtless insult.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, that's some progress, I guess.

Conservatives are all for smaller government except when government is needed to get "different" folks to toe the line.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'll let it slide ;)

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why isn't YankeeFan raging against this newspaper?

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I look forward to our newsroom being given a Romney endorsement from Wheeling and being ordered to run it this October.

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

+1 for sound historical recall.

Draft saved Draft deleted