1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a coach says a naughty word (GASP!) ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Jun 25, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Is there any conditions given to the fact that its a column and, if you read Schultz enough, he tries to get a laught out of every graph?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I think that because it is a column, he can take a few more liberties with it. It's also a major metro paper, which might give him a bit more leeway. I don't think I could do that in a column at my paper.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agreed, I cringed when I first read it. I usually like Schultz, but he does stupid stuff like that all the time. It is resorting to toilet humor, which I'm also a big fan of, right in the middle of a serious column.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

We're slowly easing our readers into the minor cuss words. I was able to keep "crap" in a quote the other day ("I'm a big guy and they were giving me crap about not hitting any home runs") [a hard time] or something like that probably would have worked, but it was nice not to have to change it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I (expletive) in the milk of your cursing quote [/Hemingway]

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I've seen the word "fuck" in the Globe and Mail, Canada's National Newspaper, several times. We can't get away with it at our paper...we're small town conservative. Pointed it out to our editor and he said "It's a different kind of reader who reads the Globe. They wouldn't be shocked by that language."

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well played sir.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We're not a newspaper, so our take might not mean much, but we once had a great quote to end a story, and a key word was "shit," and after some discussion, we went with it and all four letters.

Got a couple of complaints, but it really was a good quote and seemed worth it.

Case-by-case decision; and again, I realize it is less so for a typical "family" newspaper.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have had coaches say "We played a hell of a game" and in the little shitburgh I live in we have readers complain

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When The Washington Post puts "fuck you" on the front page, anything's fair game.

Generally, I think the seven Carlin words should be avoided, though as The Post proved, there is a time and place to bend that rule, too.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You lost me at...
    ;)

But had me at...
    There are no hard rules for these cases. Nor should there be.
    If you have a question -- if the internal flags go up -- run it up the flagpole.

Draft saved Draft deleted