1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When 7-on-7 football tournaments go bad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jul 12, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Florida Class 4A state champion Miami Booker T. Washington and Class 2B champion Pahokee got into a brawl after their Nike South Florida 7-on-7 passing tournament game.

Booker T. Washington won on a late touchdown and two-point conversion, 22-21, but its coach, Earl Tillman suffered a dislocated knee in the donnybrook afterwards as he was trying to seperate players.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/12/0712pahokee.html

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Now, that's what I'm talking about. You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At my last stop, parents/boosters from the local rich kids' high school wanted us to cover 7-on-7 summer stuff as if it were something that mattered. The coaches thought that was insane. I had to convince them to convince my publisher that it was a bad idea. Worked, though.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We have a tournament going on right now. I e-mailed the AP story to our writer there when it came over the wire.

5. Things were "chippy" after adidas 7-on-7 passing camp on June 30. How many passing camps are there in Florida. And if there are more, is New Balance involved?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There are quite a few, I think while some have high-profile sponsorship, there are leagues and tournaments across a lot of the state. And it's not just Florida. Here's a USA Today feature on 7-on-7 from last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2007-07-17-passing-leagues_N.htm

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The use of "Seven-on-7" makes the baby Jesus cry. It might, MIGHT, be technically correct, but it looks like shit. Not sure why 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 is correct, given that AP style indicates that numbers under 10 are spelled out, but I guess it is. Still, seven-on-7 is tragically unfortunate.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when we get into a brawl!"

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You only should spell out seven when it starts a sentence, i.e. "Seven-on-7 football has become more popular over the last decade." Otherwise it's 7-on-7.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think there are a bunch of '09 college recruits on those teams. Not good.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Anyone who is (A) not a coach or (B) not a law enforcement officer has no business trying to intervene in a fight like this. Serves the Nike rep right, getting knocked on his butt.

Draft saved Draft deleted