1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wheelchair Access Public Toilets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I personally like the family bathrooms...

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It never would have occurred to me not to. Maybe I'm a selfish jerk.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i have a handicap placard for the truck that i unfortunately "earned" but if there's a non-handicap parking space just as close, i'll use that one so another person who also needs a handicap spot can use it.

that said, i would never park in a handicap restroom stall.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

My wife (a paraplegic) absolutely HATES it when non-handicapped people use the handicap stall. And, invariably, whenever we go somewhere there's someone shitting one up. She has to wait and gives them the stink-eye when they emerge. Sometimes they're apologetic, sometimes they just keep the eyes down and walk away.
    Maybe she's rubbed off on me, but I won't use them if I'm in a place where there's a chance someone who actually needs the stall will come into the bathroom. At the gym, where there's a lot of old men with canes, I avoid it. At work, where I've never seen a handicapped person go into the men's room, it's my go-to stall.

5. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

On the parking spaces, we have a hangtag in each of our cars. I would never use the one in my car if she wasn't with me, but always use it when she is with me. Doesn't mean I'll drive around for 10 minutes waiting for a handicap spot, though. Like I tell her, my legs ain't broke and she's not walking anyway.

One of my more satisfying moments in life came when some do-gooder pulled up beside our car at Best Buy. I had just hopped out and was in the process of getting her chair out of the trunk. The guy, obviously pissed at seeing me parked in the handicap spot, yells out the window, "Excuse me! Are you handicapped!?"
    I very coolly lifted the trunk, pulled out the chair and said, "No. But my wife is."
    I think his wife slapped him and tried to hide her face before they very quickly drove off.

Draft saved Draft deleted