1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wheelchair Access Public Toilets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, so here's an etiquette question for you. Do you not use one if it is open (and nothing else is) and you have to take care of business in a public can?

Without going into too much detail, someone I, uh, know ran into this situation today while in a bookstore with his wife. This person who shall remain nameless went into the very wide stall with rails and took care of the situation, but I'm told he spent much of his time in there worrying someone would roll in and need the place.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

First come first serve is good enough for the rest of us. And the handicap stall is usually the cleanest.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Someone I, uh, know deuces it up in the wheelchair stall all the time -- when no other is available, of course.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The fear of getting caught in there at a time when someone needed the facilities is enough to stop me, though I do understand the sentiment and have looked longingly from time to time.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would rather piss in the handicap stall than stand next to a dude while pissing in a urinal. It's not like they are going to be ready before I am done taking a leak.

I never deuce in the handicap stall if I can help it at all. I would wait if at all possible.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If I don't get to take my dump in a timely manner, I will be virtually handicapped. So yes, if needs be, into the megastall.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If I have to take care of seated business and the handicapped stall is the only one open, I'll use it.
    If I have to take care of seated business and the handicapped stall is the only clean stall open, I'll use it.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wheelchair bound people are no more guaranteed instant toilet availability than the rest of us. They were never intended to be off limits to non-wheelchairers. It's a completely different rule from that of a parking space.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just like the fact the seats are higher.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What really rankles me is when I see a handicap person with a decal park in a non-handicap spot at the front of a store when a handicap spot is available. This became such a frequent occurrence where I live that I have on my old phone several example pics of this at local grocery stores. Generally, it appeared to be people who were not in wheelchairs but who more than likely offered up some bogus excuse to get one from the Doc. I say if you're going to work your doctor for a handicapped parking decal then you better be using it all the time --- jerk!

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Honestly, I use them if I feel I need the extra privacy, if you know what I mean. This is something I try to never do in public. But sometimes, these things cannot be planned. And when it happens, I need the extra privacy the handicapped stall usually offers.

Draft saved Draft deleted