1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your worst day ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Dec 7, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If the point of the thread is simply a petty event that seemed like the worst thing that could ever happen when we were kids, I have way too many candidates.

More serious candidate: The day my aunt died in 1999. The 10-year anniversary is coming up in May.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Game 6, 86 World Series.

I think I laid, numb, on the couch in my basement for hours. Just as stunned as a 12-year-old boy could be.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Dikembe Mutombo laying on the floor of the Seattle Center Coliseum after the Sonics became the first 8 seed to lose in the opening round.

Remember it like it was yesterday.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

12-years old, playing in a little league baseball tournament game against a nearby town that had players who, in later years, became close friends. We had an awesome team. They had an awesome team.

They go up 7-0 in the first inning and coach pulls me from shortstop to go in an pitch, obviously because our starter wasn't having a good night.

Anyhoo, I end up throwing something like one- or two-hit ball the rest of the game, and we slowly rally, only to lose the game, 7-6. During our rally, an opponent sizzles a grounder to our third baseman, a close friend of mine at the time. He boots the ball, and I turn away in disgust, getting pissed at my friend for blowing a play in desperate times.

When the play is dead, I turn back to my third baseman and find him writhing in pain on the ground with blood splattered all around him. The ball had struck him in the nose, breaking it and sending blood flying everywhere. He was carted off to the hospital, and we vowed to complete the comeback for our fallen comrade, which we failed to do.

In many ways, this story is a microcosim of my life.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The day Pete Rose left the Reds. He was still a hero then.

It was only later, much later, that I found that out that everyone in baseball knew he wasn't going to re-sign with the Reds in 1978 because he had huge gambling debts. Sigh...

6. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

when they canceled B.J. and the Bear

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Easy - Broncos lose to Jacksonville in 96 playoffs. They should've won it all that year. O'course, two straight in 97 and 98 made it a bit easier to swallow.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Worst 24-hour span.

Tore my ACL playing basketball. The next morning, barely able to walk, I had to move out of my apartment. None of my roommates were home and I had to carry a mini fridge down two flights of stairs.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean the 1979 AFC championship game? The catch in the end zone that was ruled out of bounds?

Mine wasn't even an important game. It was a Monday Night Football game in 1984. The Steelers played the Saints in the Superdome. I was there watching with my father and a bunch of Saints fans. That was the year the Steelers gave the 49ers their only loss of the season and made it to the AFC Championship game before getting torched by Dan Marino, but they lost that night. This was back when the Saints had never even been to the playoffs.

The funny part is what I remember most was this woman that passed us on the way out. She saw the miserable look on my face and said, "Don't cry, son. We've been crying here for 20 years." I can still do a pretty fair imitation of her accent.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Again, when I was older than a teenager, but a good day:

Chiefs were losing to the Cleveland fucking Browns.

Just a few seconds left, and Trent Green is sacked. Off goes the TV. Off goes me, screaming and shouting, throwing the clicker. Off into the shower.

While I'm in the shower, my daughter yells, "Dad, the Chiefs won!" I shake it off, thinking she must have been looking at an old score.

She comes in and reiterates. I hop out, soaking wet, and investigate.

That's what I get for giving up on my teams so damn quickly.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Basketball sectional loss in the semifinals, 1991. Wasn't supposed to happen in that game. Still not sure what happened.

12. Luis Gonzalez.

2004 ALCS.

Draft saved Draft deleted