1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your worst day ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

http://www.holytaco.com/worst-day-their-lives-0

Clearly for these middle school girls, it was when David Archuletta lost on American Idol. What's something trivial that made you upset like this when you were that age?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Jim Sundberg, Game 7, 1985 American League Championship Series.

Wayne Gretzky, Games 6 and 7, 1993 NHL Western Conference Final.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Otis Nixon failing to beat out the bunt, 1992 WS Game 6.

Chris Webber, 1993 NCAA championship game.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Felix the Cat displacing Speed Racer in the weekday afternoon cartoons when I was in first grade.

Steelers defeating Cowboys in Super Bowl XII.

Bucky Fucking Dent.

Miss. State defeating Alabama 6-3 in a game I saw with my dad in Jackson.

Jets defeating Saints in my first-ever in-person NFL game.

Canucks beating Black Hawks in Campbell Finals.

Any number of shitty events at school, but mercifully I'm very short on specifics there. Sports traumas seem to serve a purpose in that they seem more accessible in recollection than traumas from school.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can't place anything like the first post asked, and I don't really have a worst day ever.

However, I can recall about three weeks that made me feel pretty down and out.

It was around the end of July, and I was about halfway through the first phase of flight school -- between my solo and first check ride, or practical exam. I had a bad day flying -- a really bad day -- and blew a couple of maneuvers. To top it all off, when I was landing that day, we had a malfunction for which I was not prepared. I got the dreaded "pink slip," or unsatisfactory grade. For the next three weeks, my instructor berated me and graded me on a much more strict scale -- HIS.

During that three-week stretch, I received 10 Cs and two more unsatisfactory grades. My IP's boss (the flight commander) saw fit to change my IP, citing my instructor's loss of patience, one week before my exam. After a week of flying with the new guy, with whom I didn't get along nearly as well as I did with my first instructor, I scored a 90 on the test.

That fucker busted my balls for three weeks -- we're talking almost stomach ulcer shit, here -- and I was still better than half the fucking class. What a dickhead!

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I was informed I'd spend my summer playing Super Nintendo and swimming instead of being a 12-year-old, Little League All-Star.

I batted .511 with a home run, 25 RBIs and played a solid center field and first base that season and had game-winning hits in both of my team's wins, yet three of my teammates made the teams (A and B), while I sat crying on the slide at the deep end. Stupid dad who just taught band all day and didn't coach my stupid, crappy team.

I'm writing a letter.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The Drive.

The Fumble.

Browns leaving Cleveland.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cost you a scholarship, did it?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At least one. And because I was so distraught, I lost all motivation to study. My grades went straight downhill, and I didn't get any academic scholarships. I also smoked half a pack of cigarettes when I turned 14 and began eating handfuls of Reese's Pieces to mask my breath. I got two cavities that year -- right after I got my braces off -- and, of course, my mom had to take off work to drive me to the appointment. On the way to the dentist, my mother told me I was adopted and that she'd never love me like one of her own children.

Little League baseball ruined my life.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Vince Neil gets arrested and later sentenced to jail for involuntary manslaughter ... after driving drunk and killing his buddy, lead singer from Hanoi Rocks.

To a 14-year-old, that was a pretty rough day ... although it doesn't compare to some very real shit that's gone on in my adult life, that's what those girls reminded me of.

Hi, BYH!

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

May 25, 1974

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am not kidding when I say I remember that like it was yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted